Matthew Sanders: More countries should follow David Cameron's defense of children, attack on pornography
Response: Of course there will be complications. Google and YouTube constantly go after those who violate their search and advertising policies by blacklisting certain websites from search results and removing YouTube channels signaled as inappropriate. In the era of big data and crowdsourcing this concern is less and less valid.
"This is censorship." Proponents of public permissiveness love to warn about the threats and evils of censorship, claiming that any action to limit free expression introduces the problems of a "slippery slope."
Response: I am no fan of government intervention. But I also find it comical to hear those on the bottom of the moral slope warning others of slipperiness! This is no slippery slope issue but one with plenty of precedence. It is simply an effort to categorize, inform and provide explicit choice about explicit material.
Opponents skulk behind protections of free speech. While their claims may have hold in the production of pornography, it gives them no protection for distribution or purveyance in the public square. Our schools and homes increasingly depend on the Internet as a public venue for education, commerce and communication..
I applaud Cameron for taking the lead to do what is morally responsible in the face of that which is morally reprehensible. We should do likewise.
Matthew studied economics at Brigham Young University and business and government at Harvard University. He is a GM at Deseret Digital Media where he oversees Deseret Connect and Deseret News Service. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow him on Twitter @Sanders_Matt or subscribe to the Reframing the Debate email feed.
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- Letter: Acting on immigration
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Hospitality...
- My view: Remembering JFK 51 years later
- In our opinion: Thankfully speaking —...
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Greg Bell: It's time to raise the gas tax
- Drew Clark: Interfaith conference at Vatican...
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 67
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 45
- Letter: Acting on immigration 43
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- My view: Global warming needs free market 26