USU golf: Tanner Higham named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State’s Tanner Higham was named a Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar, as announced Wednesday by the Golf Coaches Association of America.
Higham was one of 152 Division I golfers to earn All-America Scholar honors from Cleveland Golf/Srixon, including one of seven from the Western Athletic Conference and one of six from the state of Utah.
Higham, a junior from Shelley, Idaho, has a cumulative 3.98 grade point average majoring in nutrition, dietetics and food sciences.
During the 2012-13 season, Higham played 28 rounds and had a team-best scoring average of 73.57. Higham's best individual finish of the year was tying for first at the Southern Utah hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational this spring with a 2-under 142 (70-72), marking the first time since 1996 that an Aggie golfer tied for first or won a tournament. He also finished second at the U.S. Air Force hosted Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational last fall as he shot a 6-under 210 (70-70-70) for USU's best individual finish at the time since 1997.
Higham finished the season tied for 11th at the 2013 WAC Championships with a 9-over 225 (73-74-78) helping Utah State finish in sixth place in the 10-team field with a 51-over 915 (292-312-311).
To be eligible for Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar status an individual must be a junior or senior academically, compete in at least three full years at the collegiate level, participate in 50 percent of his team’s competitive rounds or compete in the NCAA Championships, have a stroke average under 76.0 in Division I, and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2. A recipient must also be of high moral character and be in good standing at his college or university.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Utes want to take away more takeaways at the...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44