LOGAN, Utah – The Utah State men's and women’s track and field teams earned U.S. Track and Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association 2013 Division I All-Academic Track and Field team accolades, as announced Wednesday.
As a team, Utah State’s women’s program had a 3.38 cumulative grade point average, while the men’s program had a cumulative grade point average of 3.27 for the 2012-13 academic year.
Utah State also had two individuals honored as Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams earned USTFCCCA All-Academic honors.
McKenna, a junior from Farmington, Idaho, has a cumulative 3.97 grade point average majoring in music and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII first team. Williams, a sophomore from Enterprise, Utah, has a cumulative 4.00 grade point average majoring in human movement science and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII second team.
During the 2012-13 academic year, McKenna earned first-team all-WAC honors after finishing second at the 2012 WAC Cross-Country Championships, second in the 5,000m at the 2013 WAC Indoor Championships, and second in the 5,000m and 10,000m at the 2013 WAC Outdoor Championships. Overall, McKenna has earned first-team all-WAC honors six times in his career and second-team all-WAC honors five times. He is also a seven-time academic all-WAC honoree. McKenna concluded his junior season by placing 29th in the 10,000m at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Williams earned second-team all-WAC honors during the 2012-13 academic year after placing sixth in the high jump at the 2013 Outdoor Championships. She also earned first-team all-WAC honors after winning the high jump at the 2012 Outdoor Championships. Williams concluded her sophomore season by placing 32nd in the high jump at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
To qualify for the honor as an individual, the student-athlete must have compiled a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 and have met either of the following athletic standards: for the indoor season, a student-athlete must have finished the regular season ranked in the national top 96 in an individual event or ranked in the national top 48 (collective listing) in a relay event on the official NCAA POP list; for the outdoor season, a student-athlete must have participated in any round of the NCAA Division I Championships (including preliminary rounds). To qualify as a team you must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Utes get it done at home again
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 89
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 22