Vernal man accused of stabbing brother with screwdriver
VERNAL — Police say a night of drinking and fighting ended with one brother in jail and another in the hospital.
Officers were called about 4:15 a.m. Tuesday to a house near 700 West and 500 South on a report that someone had been stabbed, Vernal Police Sgt. Vance Norton said.
"The front two windows were broke out, there was glass everywhere, quite a bit of blood up the staircase," said Norton, describing the scene.
Witnesses told police there had been verbal and physical fights between Derrick David Herrera, a man Herrera identified as his brother and three women throughout a night of heavy drinking.
At some point, Herrera and two of the women began to fight and Herrera's brother tried to intervene, the witnesses said. A "lengthy fight" ensued and Herrera used a screwdriver to stab his brother in the back, Norton said.
The victim wasn't at the house when officers arrived. "He had called a cab and was on his way to the hospital," the sergeant said.
The man suffered a punctured lung and other injuries, Norton said. He told investigators he knew Herrera was armed with a screwdriver during their fight, but didn't immediately realize he had been stabbed.
"It was later, when he actually started feeling the pain in his shoulder and started having trouble breathing, that he realized something was wrong," Norton said.
Herrera was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault. No formal charges have been filed and no date for his first court appearance has been scheduled.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10