LDS missionary among survivors of Spain train crash
18-year-old from Bountiful has been released from the hospital
That sentiment is echoed by Elder Ward's father, who said during a telephone interview Thursday morning that he and his wife, Beverly, are feeling an extraordinary mix of emotions in the wake of the news that their son has been severely injured on his mission thousands of miles from home.
"Of course, the news that our son was in an accident was horrible," Ward said. "But he survived when so many others didn't. And it looks like he's going to be OK. So we're feeling horrified and grateful, all at once."
The Wards say they consider it a "tender mercy" from God that their son's mission president is an orthopedic surgeon by profession, and has been able to help Elder Ward through this in unique ways by virtue of his background and experience. For his part, Jackson said Elder Ward is "a remarkable young man, very happy by nature."
"He was cracking jokes last night," Jackson said. "He had a big smile on his face. He said he feels lucky and thankful to be alive."
A few minutes after he learned from the mission president that his son had been released from the hospital, Ward said his son was being taken back to the mission home in Madrid.
"He doesn't have any clothes or luggage or anything at this point," Ward said. "That's just a little thing, but we have to figure all of that out now."
Late Thursday afternoon LDS Church spokesman Dale Jones said "our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the train accident in Spain."
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- LDS apostles return to southern South America...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 58
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 26
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19