BYU tennis: Fillmore, Sargeant named to WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll
SAN BRUNO, Calif. — With the conclusion of the 2012-13 academic year, two BYU men's tennis players were honored by the West Coast Conference's 12th annual WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll, which recognizes student-athletes that have balanced athletic success with academic excellence.
Sophomore Francis Sargeant and junior Travis Fillmore collected the honors in a season that saw the Cougars go 21-7 en route to their third NCAA Tournament appearance in the last four years. Sargeant finished the season with a 29-10 singles record while also finishing the season 21-9 in doubles. Along with doubles partner Patrick Kawka, the duo was voted Doubles Team of the Year in the ITA Mountain Region.
Fillmore saw time on the No. 2 doubles team with senior Spencer Smith, helping BYU to an undefeated season in region play. He also led the team in the fall season with a 9-4 record in singles play.
For the second consecutive year, over 1,000 WCC student-athletes garnered honors on the Commissioner's Honor Roll for possessing at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Only grades earned at WCC institutions are used in calculating the grade point average for this award. To be considered for this honor, student-athletes must meet the following requirements: individuals must have earned a varsity letter in a sport which the conference determined a champion in the recently completed academic year; the cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 must be based on a 4.0 scale; the individuals must have successfully completed an average of at least 12 graded credit hours (non pass-fail hours) per term. The conference recognizes those on the WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll in three separate categories: 4.00-3.75 — Gold Honors; 3.74-3.50 — Silver Honors; 3.49-3.00 — Bronze Honors.
BYU men's tennis honorees — honor, name, major, GPA
Silver Honors, Travis Fillmore, Civil Engineering, 3.74
Bronze Honors, Francis Sargeant, Mathematics, 3.21
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- College football countdown No. 42: BYU...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Brad Rock: Big 12 and BYU overshadow instate...
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU sports is...
- College basketball: BYU, Utah, Utah State and...
- Morning links: National college football...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 79
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Brad Rock: Big 12 and BYU overshadow... 13
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 10