UVU track: Wolverine women's track team and four student-athletes honored for academic success
NEW ORLEANS — The Utah Valley University women's track and field team along with four student-athletes were honored for their academic success by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association on Wednesday.
The women's team posted the 35th best team GPA in all of NCAA Division I with a 3.40 clip. Overall, 187 women's programs demonstrated excellence academically and athletically to earn All-Academic Team honors. To qualify for the USTFCCCA All-Academic Team your squad must have posted at least a 3.00 cumulative team GPA.
The four UVU student-athletes to make the USTFCCCA All-Academic Individual Team were McKell Camp-Nielson, Brooke Hodson-Davies, Maryn Pincock and Michael McPherson. The soon-to-be senior Hodson-Davies led the way for the Wolverines with a 3.69 cumulative GPA, while Pincock qualified with a 3.60 GPA and Camp-Nielson and McPherson did with respective 3.30 and 3.25 GPA's.
To make the USTFCCCA All-Academic Individual Track and Field Team, the student-athlete must have compiled a cumulative GPA of 3.25 and have met either of the following athletic standards: for the indoor season, a student-athlete must have finished the regular season ranked in the national top 96 in an individual event or ranked in the national top 48 (collective listing) in a relay event on the official NCAA POP list provided by TFRRS.org; for the outdoor season, a student-athlete must have participated in any round of the NCAA Division I Championships (including preliminary rounds).
The quartet of UVU track athletes participated for the Wolverines at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field West Preliminary Rounds in Austin, Texas, this past May. Camp-Nielson placed 17th in the javelin with a toss of 45.73m, Hodson-Davies took 47th in the 3000m steeplechase (11:09.43), Pincock finished 28th in the discus (47.39m), and McPherson took 31st in the long jump (7.24m) and 44th in the 200m (21.82). McPherson and Pincock were also named the Great West Conference's Male and Female Outdoor Track and Field Athletes of the Year in June after their 2012-13 seasons.
McPherson and Hodson-Davies will be back for UVU in 2013-14, but Camp-Nielson and Pincock completed their senior campaigns this past year.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50