SAN BRUNO, Calif. — With the conclusion of the 2012-13 academic year, the West Coast Conference announced the 12th annual WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll, which recognizes student-athletes that have balanced athletic success with academic excellence.
Four members of the BYU men’s basketball team were recognized as Craig Cusick received Silver Honors (3.50 to 3.74 GPA) and Ian Harward, Tyler Haws and Brock Zylstra earned Bronze Honors (3.00 to 3.49 GPA). Cusick and Zylstra are repeat honorees.
Cusick was also named to the NABC Honors Court and received Academic All-WCC Honorable Mention earlier this season. He averaged 3.8 points and 2.3 rebounds this season.
Haws led the WCC in scoring at 21.7 points per game and was named All-WCC and NABC and USBWA All-District. Zylstra started 33 games and contributed 7.6 points and 4.1 boards per game. Harward averaged 1.0 points and 1.0 boards per game.
For the second consecutive year, over 1,000 WCC student-athletes garnered honors on the Commissioner's Honor Roll for possessing at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Only grades earned at WCC institutions are used in calculating the grade point average for this award. To be considered for this honor, student-athletes must meet the following requirements: individuals must have earned a varsity letter in a sport which the conference determined a champion in the recently completed academic year; the cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 must be based on a 4.0 scale; the individuals must have successfully completed an average of at least 12 graded credit hours (non pass-fail hours) per term.
The conference recognizes those on the WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll in three separate categories: 4.00-3.75 — Gold Honors; 3.74-3.50 — Silver Honors; 3.49-3.00 — Bronze Honors.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, email@example.com or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 28
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21