Elise Amendola, AP
Celebrating its 30th anniversary, the O.C. Tanner Gift of Music Concert will host singer and songwriter James Taylor for this year's concert on Sept. 6 and 7 at the Conference Center on Temple Square.
In a press release, Wilberg said he had worked with Taylor to create a concert that highlights Taylor's past experience singing with choruses and symphonies, while also playing some of his fans' favorite pieces.
Taylor has performed with symphonies and choirs across the country, including the Pittsburgh Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. In his four-decade career, Taylor has sold more than 100 million albums and won five Grammy Awards.
"We have wanted to have him join us in concert for many years, and this 30th anniversary program just seemed like the perfect opportunity," Wilberg said in the press release.
While the concert is free, the high demand for tickets means most tickets are distributed through random selection. A limited number of tickets are available to season ticket holders of the Utah Symphony or Utah Opera.
Those interested in entering the ticket lottery may register at lds.org/events for the chance to receive tickets. Online registration begins Saturday, July 27, at 12:01 a.m. and closes Monday, Aug. 5 at 11:59 p.m.
Individuals can also register over the phone by calling 801-570-0080.
Only one registration per household is permitted. Each household can request a maximum of two tickets.
While standby tickets will not be issued, those not able to get tickets are welcome to stand by for last-minute tickets the night of the concert.
The O.C. Tanner Gift of Music series began in 1983 when Obert C. Tanner and his neighbor, then-apostle and future president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Gordon B. Hinckley, wanted to organize a free community event with the choir and symphony. Tanner endowed a trust to fund the annual event, while Elder Hinckley began the tradition of the LDS Church hosting the concert on Temple Square.
Katie Harmer is a journalism graduate of Brigham Young University and writes for Mormon Times. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: harmerk
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- 10 ways Disney can help those with autism
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 3 points for parents
- Drive-By Art aims to beautify Salt Lake...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 6
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Farewell, Monty Python 2