She ran in the Deseret News Classic 10K before the parade, and figured she might as well camp on the street the night before so she'd have a front row seat. Seeing the creative float designs, the people who are on TV, politicians and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "up close was worth it."
Of the 108 parade entries, several of floats won awards. The Sweepstakes Award and the People's Choice Award went to the Salt Lake Olympus Stake's float and the Children's Choice Award went to the float created by the Centerville South Stake.
The West Jordan River Stake's float won the Legacy Award, the Salt Lake Riverside Stake won the Theme Award, the BYU float won the Queen's Award, Bountiful North Stake's float won the Outstanding Animation Award, and the Salt Lake Granger South Stake float won the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Award.
Other awards were given to Murray City float, which won the Brigham Young Award, West Valley City's float won the Hilda Erickson Award, Salt Lake East Millcreek Stake's float received the Utah Award, and the Riverton Stake's float won the Spirit of the Faith Award.
The Polynesian Cultural Center's float won the President's Award, Sandy Cottonwood Creek Stake's float won the Sons of the Utah Pioneer Award, the Chinese Society of Utah won the Mayor's Award, the Ensign Award went to the Midvale City's float, the Wal-Mart float won the Community Award, Herriman City's float won the Governor Award.
More Pioneer Day coverage:
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 101
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18