Days of '47 Parade filled with tradition, fun — and romance (+photos)
She ran in the Deseret News Classic 10K before the parade, and figured she might as well camp on the street the night before so she'd have a front row seat. Seeing the creative float designs, the people who are on TV, politicians and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "up close was worth it."
Of the 108 parade entries, several of floats won awards. The Sweepstakes Award and the People's Choice Award went to the Salt Lake Olympus Stake's float and the Children's Choice Award went to the float created by the Centerville South Stake.
The West Jordan River Stake's float won the Legacy Award, the Salt Lake Riverside Stake won the Theme Award, the BYU float won the Queen's Award, Bountiful North Stake's float won the Outstanding Animation Award, and the Salt Lake Granger South Stake float won the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Award.
Other awards were given to Murray City float, which won the Brigham Young Award, West Valley City's float won the Hilda Erickson Award, Salt Lake East Millcreek Stake's float received the Utah Award, and the Riverton Stake's float won the Spirit of the Faith Award.
The Polynesian Cultural Center's float won the President's Award, Sandy Cottonwood Creek Stake's float won the Sons of the Utah Pioneer Award, the Chinese Society of Utah won the Mayor's Award, the Ensign Award went to the Midvale City's float, the Wal-Mart float won the Community Award, Herriman City's float won the Governor Award.
More Pioneer Day coverage:
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Brother, sister hugged each other as they...
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 30
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 19
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8