Faith moved Mormon pioneers while hope anchored them, Elder Marcus B. Nash says at Sunrise Service
He told of a family he met in March while on a church assignment in Otavalo, Ecuador. He said the father in the family was one of the earliest converts to the LDS Church in the village at a time when most of the people spoke Quichua, not Spanish. When the father was a boy between 10 and 13, he was given a copy of the Book of Mormon written in Spanish, and although he could not read it, “he felt a profound power and spirit when he held the book in his hand.”
“He hid it in his home, for he knew that his brothers would destroy it if they ever found it. From time to time, he would take the book from its hiding place just to hold and feel its power.”
Enduring opposition, he became one of the first LDS missionaries from the village. He returned and married another returned LDS missionary and, with her, raised a family in the church. He later helped to translate the Book of Mormon in Quichua.
The couple, Elder Nash said, “teach us that we pass along a pioneer legacy of faith by being a pioneer, that is by opening, showing and living the gospel in a way for others to follow.”
Several musical selections were performed at the service by the Salt Lake Valley Combined LDS Institute Choirs under the direction of Hal W. Romrell and guest conductor Marshal McDonald.
A flag ceremony was conducted by members of the Mormon Battalion, a heritage society that honors some of the original 1846-47 Mormon pioneers who, while migrating west, answered the call from the U.S. government to enlist in the U.S. Army while the nation was at war with Mexico.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Researching Family History: It's a day of a...
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for judging...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 68
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 47
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 40
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 26
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 14