Faith moved Mormon pioneers while hope anchored them, Elder Marcus B. Nash says at Sunrise Service
He told of a family he met in March while on a church assignment in Otavalo, Ecuador. He said the father in the family was one of the earliest converts to the LDS Church in the village at a time when most of the people spoke Quichua, not Spanish. When the father was a boy between 10 and 13, he was given a copy of the Book of Mormon written in Spanish, and although he could not read it, “he felt a profound power and spirit when he held the book in his hand.”
“He hid it in his home, for he knew that his brothers would destroy it if they ever found it. From time to time, he would take the book from its hiding place just to hold and feel its power.”
Enduring opposition, he became one of the first LDS missionaries from the village. He returned and married another returned LDS missionary and, with her, raised a family in the church. He later helped to translate the Book of Mormon in Quichua.
The couple, Elder Nash said, “teach us that we pass along a pioneer legacy of faith by being a pioneer, that is by opening, showing and living the gospel in a way for others to follow.”
Several musical selections were performed at the service by the Salt Lake Valley Combined LDS Institute Choirs under the direction of Hal W. Romrell and guest conductor Marshal McDonald.
A flag ceremony was conducted by members of the Mormon Battalion, a heritage society that honors some of the original 1846-47 Mormon pioneers who, while migrating west, answered the call from the U.S. government to enlist in the U.S. Army while the nation was at war with Mexico.
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod? Statue...
- LDS missionary who returned home early shares...
- Brooklyn's Catholic bishop decries racism and...
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering...
- Playwright, film producer strive to teach...
- What's new: 'The Washington Hypothesis'
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 53
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 46
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 24
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 23
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 12
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 12