BYU ranked No. 34 in Orlando Sentinel's college football preseason rankings
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
With fall camps around the corner and media days keeping journalists busy this week, there is plenty of buzz currently about college football.
The Orlando Sentinel began its buzz well before the norm.
The newspaper has been releasing a story online each day for nearly three months already, ranking every team in the Football Bowl Subvision, from No. 125 to No. 1.
On Tuesday, BYU's number came up, as the Cougars were ranked in the No. 34 preseason spot.
It's a solid preseason ranking for a BYU team that is returning 13 starters, but must break in a new starting quarterback and has depth concerns at a couple of positions, including defensive line.
Sentinel college football writer Matt Murschel highlights the return of Kyle Van Noy, as well BYU's top two rushers in Jamaal Williams and Michael Alisa, as reasons for Cougar fans to be optimistic, as well as BYU having four of its first six games at home.
Murshel points to the Cougars' offensive struggles as the main weakness coming out of the 2012 season, and he calls the return of Robert Anae to BYU a key move. He wrote, "Anae is a tough, no-nonsense coach who expects a lot out of his players including quarterback Taysom Hill."
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 113
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16