BYU ranked No. 34 in Orlando Sentinel's college football preseason rankings
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
With fall camps around the corner and media days keeping journalists busy this week, there is plenty of buzz currently about college football.
The Orlando Sentinel began its buzz well before the norm.
The newspaper has been releasing a story online each day for nearly three months already, ranking every team in the Football Bowl Subvision, from No. 125 to No. 1.
On Tuesday, BYU's number came up, as the Cougars were ranked in the No. 34 preseason spot.
It's a solid preseason ranking for a BYU team that is returning 13 starters, but must break in a new starting quarterback and has depth concerns at a couple of positions, including defensive line.
Sentinel college football writer Matt Murschel highlights the return of Kyle Van Noy, as well BYU's top two rushers in Jamaal Williams and Michael Alisa, as reasons for Cougar fans to be optimistic, as well as BYU having four of its first six games at home.
Murshel points to the Cougars' offensive struggles as the main weakness coming out of the 2012 season, and he calls the return of Robert Anae to BYU a key move. He wrote, "Anae is a tough, no-nonsense coach who expects a lot out of his players including quarterback Taysom Hill."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 27
- Utes get it done at home again 21