BYU ranked No. 34 in Orlando Sentinel's college football preseason rankings
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
With fall camps around the corner and media days keeping journalists busy this week, there is plenty of buzz currently about college football.
The Orlando Sentinel began its buzz well before the norm.
The newspaper has been releasing a story online each day for nearly three months already, ranking every team in the Football Bowl Subvision, from No. 125 to No. 1.
On Tuesday, BYU's number came up, as the Cougars were ranked in the No. 34 preseason spot.
It's a solid preseason ranking for a BYU team that is returning 13 starters, but must break in a new starting quarterback and has depth concerns at a couple of positions, including defensive line.
Sentinel college football writer Matt Murschel highlights the return of Kyle Van Noy, as well BYU's top two rushers in Jamaal Williams and Michael Alisa, as reasons for Cougar fans to be optimistic, as well as BYU having four of its first six games at home.
Murshel points to the Cougars' offensive struggles as the main weakness coming out of the 2012 season, and he calls the return of Robert Anae to BYU a key move. He wrote, "Anae is a tough, no-nonsense coach who expects a lot out of his players including quarterback Taysom Hill."
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 83
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 38
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8