BYU ranked No. 34 in Orlando Sentinel's college football preseason rankings
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
With fall camps around the corner and media days keeping journalists busy this week, there is plenty of buzz currently about college football.
The Orlando Sentinel began its buzz well before the norm.
The newspaper has been releasing a story online each day for nearly three months already, ranking every team in the Football Bowl Subvision, from No. 125 to No. 1.
On Tuesday, BYU's number came up, as the Cougars were ranked in the No. 34 preseason spot.
It's a solid preseason ranking for a BYU team that is returning 13 starters, but must break in a new starting quarterback and has depth concerns at a couple of positions, including defensive line.
Sentinel college football writer Matt Murschel highlights the return of Kyle Van Noy, as well BYU's top two rushers in Jamaal Williams and Michael Alisa, as reasons for Cougar fans to be optimistic, as well as BYU having four of its first six games at home.
Murshel points to the Cougars' offensive struggles as the main weakness coming out of the 2012 season, and he calls the return of Robert Anae to BYU a key move. He wrote, "Anae is a tough, no-nonsense coach who expects a lot out of his players including quarterback Taysom Hill."
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 34
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28