No explanation offered for resignation of longtime Wellington police chief
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — The city's already-small police force is even smaller after its police chief unexpectedly resigned earlier this month.
Lee Barry, who had been with the Wellington City Police Department for more than 25 years, tendered his resignation July 12. It was accepted five days later by the City Council, according to Wellington Mayor Ben Blackburn.
The mayor declined to talk about the reason for Barry's resignation, citing the terms of a confidentiality agreement between the city and its former top cop. He did acknowledge that there is no search taking place for Barry's replacement.
"We're taking a look at what's best for a small city like us as far as a police department goes," Blackburn said. "We are going to take our time and look at all avenues for the little town of Wellington."
The mayor refused to answer a direct question about whether Barry's departure was motivated by allegations of wrongdoing, again citing the confidentiality agreement.
"People can make up their own rumors," said Blackburn, who is running for re-election to a second term. "We have no ill will toward the chief."
Two calls to Barry's home seeking comment on his time as chief, his reasons for resigning and his future plans were not returned Tuesday.
The chief's resignation means the city of 1,700 now has only two full-time police officers. Those officers will continue their duties, Blackburn said, but the city will have to rely more heavily on the Carbon County Sheriff's Office for police services.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling on...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 162
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 85
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 84
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 57
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 47
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 35
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 34