The July 29 cover of TIME Magazine’s international edition will feature Pope Francis, and it has some people questioning the placement of the pope’s image in front of the letter “M” in TIME, saying it appears as though the pope has horns.
“Is it just me, or does it look like TIME magazine gave the Pope some devil horns?!” said Vijay Nazareth on Twitter.
But other commenters note that the this is not the first time the “M” appears to give faces on TIME's cover horns. Past issues that have given some readers similar impressions have featured George W. Bush, Prince Charles, Vladimir Putin and Margaret Thatcher.
While some interpret the supposed horns as a subliminal message, others say it is simply a coincidence.
When the fast-food chain Wendy’s released a new version of its logo in April, some people likewise speculated that it had a secret message also incorporating the letter "m": the word “mom.”
But Wendy’s officials said the placement of “mom” in the logo was unintentional.
“We are aware of this and find it interesting that it appears our Wendy cameo has ‘mom’ on her ruffled collar,” said Denny Lynch, Wendy’s senior vice president of communications in an email to The Huffington Post. “We can assure you it was unintentional.”
Other company logos, such as FedEx, Toblerone and Baskin Robbins, have intended images and messages that may require a second look.
- Summer movie preview: A look at 21 films and...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Here's my favorite 'Age of Ultron' plot twist
- The most important sacrifice you can make for...
- 5-year-old boy uses unique superpower to save...
- 5-year-old rings bell, celebrates end of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- What not to say to a woman struggling... 19
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- From the makeup aisle: Advice from a... 5
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases... 1
- What does a Dutch cereal farm have to... 1