The July 29 cover of TIME Magazine’s international edition will feature Pope Francis, and it has some people questioning the placement of the pope’s image in front of the letter “M” in TIME, saying it appears as though the pope has horns.
“Is it just me, or does it look like TIME magazine gave the Pope some devil horns?!” said Vijay Nazareth on Twitter.
But other commenters note that the this is not the first time the “M” appears to give faces on TIME's cover horns. Past issues that have given some readers similar impressions have featured George W. Bush, Prince Charles, Vladimir Putin and Margaret Thatcher.
While some interpret the supposed horns as a subliminal message, others say it is simply a coincidence.
When the fast-food chain Wendy’s released a new version of its logo in April, some people likewise speculated that it had a secret message also incorporating the letter "m": the word “mom.”
But Wendy’s officials said the placement of “mom” in the logo was unintentional.
“We are aware of this and find it interesting that it appears our Wendy cameo has ‘mom’ on her ruffled collar,” said Denny Lynch, Wendy’s senior vice president of communications in an email to The Huffington Post. “We can assure you it was unintentional.”
Other company logos, such as FedEx, Toblerone and Baskin Robbins, have intended images and messages that may require a second look.
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J
- Amy Iverson: How social media can hurt, help...
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be more than...
- The Clean Cut: ‘Daddy Doin’...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- UTubers: 2 Utah couples create Pokémon...
- Family whose 3-year-old daughter has cancer...
- The Clean Cut: Lindsey Stirling performs on...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 2
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J 1
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- UTubers: 2 Utah couples create... 1
- Family whose 3-year-old daughter has... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1