½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup finely chopped black or English walnuts
2/3 cup mashed banana pulp
3 tablespoons buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease layer cake pans.
Cream shortening thoroughly and add sugar gradually, creaming well. Add the beaten eggs and beat well. Stir flour with salt, soda and baking powder and mix with walnuts. Combine mashed banana and buttermilk and add alternately with the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture. Pour into greased pans. Original recipe called for baking for 45 minutes, but the test with two 8-by-8-inch pans took about 20 minutes to bake.
— Recipe by Mrs. Edward E. Meyer, “Pioneer Recipes”
History: This recipe was brought from England by my grandmother in about 1874. My mother learned it was an economical pudding to serve her large family, especially so — and just as delicious — by substituting the different fruits as they came in season.
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup raisins
½ cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
Flour to make medium dough (during the test, it was about 1 ½ cups-2 cups)
Whipped cream, if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine brown sugar, water and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil in saucepan on tope of stove, stirring occasionally.
Combine remaining ingredients, adding sifted flour, salt and baking powder last.
Add this mixture to boiling syrup (see Testing Note below). Bake until brown and dough does not stick to toothpick. Serve warm, with whipped cream, if desired.
Testing note: I poured the syrup in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan and added the dough on top and spread it around the pan to that it was fairly even throughout.
It needed about 15-20 minutes to bake for the toothpick to come out clean. When I mixed the syrup mixture and the dough together fairly thoroughly and baked it, it took about 45 minutes and was like a soft custard or gooey brownie in texture.
— Recipe by Mrs. Harry Sanders, “Pioneer Recipes”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 14
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video... 2