½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup finely chopped black or English walnuts
2/3 cup mashed banana pulp
3 tablespoons buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease layer cake pans.
Cream shortening thoroughly and add sugar gradually, creaming well. Add the beaten eggs and beat well. Stir flour with salt, soda and baking powder and mix with walnuts. Combine mashed banana and buttermilk and add alternately with the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture. Pour into greased pans. Original recipe called for baking for 45 minutes, but the test with two 8-by-8-inch pans took about 20 minutes to bake.
— Recipe by Mrs. Edward E. Meyer, “Pioneer Recipes”
History: This recipe was brought from England by my grandmother in about 1874. My mother learned it was an economical pudding to serve her large family, especially so — and just as delicious — by substituting the different fruits as they came in season.
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup raisins
½ cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
Flour to make medium dough (during the test, it was about 1 ½ cups-2 cups)
Whipped cream, if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine brown sugar, water and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil in saucepan on tope of stove, stirring occasionally.
Combine remaining ingredients, adding sifted flour, salt and baking powder last.
Add this mixture to boiling syrup (see Testing Note below). Bake until brown and dough does not stick to toothpick. Serve warm, with whipped cream, if desired.
Testing note: I poured the syrup in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan and added the dough on top and spread it around the pan to that it was fairly even throughout.
It needed about 15-20 minutes to bake for the toothpick to come out clean. When I mixed the syrup mixture and the dough together fairly thoroughly and baked it, it took about 45 minutes and was like a soft custard or gooey brownie in texture.
— Recipe by Mrs. Harry Sanders, “Pioneer Recipes”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- The heart of the matter: What your pulse says...
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage...
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 3
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- The Clean Cut: Chicago Blackhawks... 0
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage... 0
- Orchestra of Southern Utah Children's... 0
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0