Tip for living: 'Never Pay for Toothpaste Again!' explores the world of couponing
Two days before Thanksgiving in 2008, Sariah S. Wilson found out that her husband had lost his job. In an effort to cut spending, Wilson went online and found a world she never knew existed — the world of couponing. In her booklet, “Never Pay for Toothpaste Again!” (Covenant Communications, $5.99), she shares what she learned in this world.
According to Wilson, she was able to cut her grocery bill by more than half, have twice as much food, and build up her food storage. She says that she “discovered the means to better care for her family, follow the teachings of the prophets and help her fellow man.”
Here are some of the tips she offers to help readers do the same:
Finding coupons and getting organized:
- Coupons can be found in Sunday newspaper inserts, stores, magazines, home mailers and online.
- Coupons can be organized by categories and subcategories in three-ring binders with photo sleeves, custom-made binders, folders and boxes.
- Set a goal for what you want to spend each week/month.
- Use cash. Debit and credit cards make it too easy to overspend.
- Never go to the store without a list — and stick to the list.
- Add items you need or must buy first.
- Add sale items.
- Match coupons to sale items.
- Plan menus around sale items.
- Shopping sales and using multiple coupons for multiple sale items causes food storage to grow quickly.
- Must be organized to avoid waste.
- Donate excess or things you cannot use.
- Keep learning and keep getting better and the rewards won’t stop.
- Start small — don’t run before you can walk.
Sandra Nazar lives, writes and blogs in Oklahoma with her husband and five children. She blogs at www.sincerelysandra.net
- Down payment for love: How to think about the...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Dave Ramsey says: Pets and rental properties...
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- It's about time the government... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Down payment for love: How to think... 3
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- US consumer spending dips 0.1 percent 1