Tip for living: 'Never Pay for Toothpaste Again!' explores the world of couponing
Two days before Thanksgiving in 2008, Sariah S. Wilson found out that her husband had lost his job. In an effort to cut spending, Wilson went online and found a world she never knew existed — the world of couponing. In her booklet, “Never Pay for Toothpaste Again!” (Covenant Communications, $5.99), she shares what she learned in this world.
According to Wilson, she was able to cut her grocery bill by more than half, have twice as much food, and build up her food storage. She says that she “discovered the means to better care for her family, follow the teachings of the prophets and help her fellow man.”
Here are some of the tips she offers to help readers do the same:
Finding coupons and getting organized:
- Coupons can be found in Sunday newspaper inserts, stores, magazines, home mailers and online.
- Coupons can be organized by categories and subcategories in three-ring binders with photo sleeves, custom-made binders, folders and boxes.
- Set a goal for what you want to spend each week/month.
- Use cash. Debit and credit cards make it too easy to overspend.
- Never go to the store without a list — and stick to the list.
- Add items you need or must buy first.
- Add sale items.
- Match coupons to sale items.
- Plan menus around sale items.
- Shopping sales and using multiple coupons for multiple sale items causes food storage to grow quickly.
- Must be organized to avoid waste.
- Donate excess or things you cannot use.
- Keep learning and keep getting better and the rewards won’t stop.
- Start small — don’t run before you can walk.
Sandra Nazar lives, writes and blogs in Oklahoma with her husband and five children. She blogs at www.sincerelysandra.net
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Navy vet says the effects of this are like...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Restaurants experimenting with pay-in-advance...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 13
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 8
- Food stamp use shows continued... 7
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Why you should still pack a school... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4