Running backs Jamaal Charles and Peyton Hillis and receiver Dwayne Bowe should provide Smith with the offensive talent to become immediately successful.
“We have plenty of talent; it’s just a matter of all of us doing it,” Smith said. “So, as a unit, coaches and players included, it’s on everybody to really come together and be successful on the field.”
Smith threw for 47 touchdowns, completed 66.3 percent of his passes, tossed only eight interceptions in 587 attempts and ran for 15 touchdowns during his career with the Utes. The 2004 Mountain West Conference Player of the Year still makes time to watch his alma mater play and made a financial contribution early in his pro career to redo the program’s weight room.
“I stay in contact with (coach) Kyle (Whittingham), and (co-offensive coordinator) Brian Johnson is a good, good friend,” Smith said. “Without a doubt, I still watch them. On the West Coast, it was easy to get the Pac-12 Network, so I picked up a bunch of games. We’ll see if we can get it out in Kansas City.”
The 29-year-old Smith was looking forward to being reunited with former Utes coach Urban Meyer at the celebrity tournament, but the Ohio State coach withdrew because of unspecified reasons.
“It would have been great to see him. I got to play with him last year; it was great seeing him,” Smith said. “It’s hard seeing each other when we’re all working all over the country.”
Especially now that Smith has some unfinished business in Kansas City.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16