Mormon leader Elder Jeffrey R. Holland to receive Manhood Award
Keith Johnson, Deseret News archives
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Quorum of the Twelve will be honored in the midst of Pioneer Day celebrations Tuesday evening.
A St. George native, Elder Holland will return to Washington City today to receive the county's Manhood Award, which recognizes positive values among men.
"We noticed kind of a decline in the definition of what manhood is,” Dale Ure, who is in charge of presenting the award, told thespecturm.com. “We have been giving that award out to men in the community who have exemplified what true manhood is ....”
The presentation, which is closed to the public, will take place during a luau at Veteran's Park at 7:30 p.m., and Elder Holland is expected to make a brief acceptance speech.
It is also anticipated that Elder Holland will participate in the local Pioneer Day parade, according to stgnews.com.
The parade will feature a group of youths portraying Helaman's stripling warriors from the Book of Mormon and others dressed as missionaries, as well as Boy Scouts in uniform.
Event director Rick Neilson decided to add the stripling warrior segment after seeing the Handcart Days parade in Bountiful last year. That parade featured 2,060 young men from 17 stakes. Neilson is expecting as many as 1,000 youths to participate in the Dixie event.
The parade will begin at 9 a.m. Wednesday on 300 East.
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Chinese group provides home for new LDS converts
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5