Mormon leader Elder Jeffrey R. Holland to receive Manhood Award
Keith Johnson, Deseret News archives
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Quorum of the Twelve will be honored in the midst of Pioneer Day celebrations Tuesday evening.
A St. George native, Elder Holland will return to Washington City today to receive the county's Manhood Award, which recognizes positive values among men.
"We noticed kind of a decline in the definition of what manhood is,” Dale Ure, who is in charge of presenting the award, told thespecturm.com. “We have been giving that award out to men in the community who have exemplified what true manhood is ....”
The presentation, which is closed to the public, will take place during a luau at Veteran's Park at 7:30 p.m., and Elder Holland is expected to make a brief acceptance speech.
It is also anticipated that Elder Holland will participate in the local Pioneer Day parade, according to stgnews.com.
The parade will feature a group of youths portraying Helaman's stripling warriors from the Book of Mormon and others dressed as missionaries, as well as Boy Scouts in uniform.
Event director Rick Neilson decided to add the stripling warrior segment after seeing the Handcart Days parade in Bountiful last year. That parade featured 2,060 young men from 17 stakes. Neilson is expecting as many as 1,000 youths to participate in the Dixie event.
The parade will begin at 9 a.m. Wednesday on 300 East.
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- Sunday School leader apologizes for...
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- The spiritual revolution taking place away...
- 185th Semiannual General Conference talk...
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'Be an Example...
- Photos: LDS general conference Sunday morning...
- LDS video features apostles' first testimonies
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund... 47
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment... 34
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 29
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 29
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 19
- In Saturday's General Conference... 16
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Leaders close conference by urging... 13