Pew survey: more Latinos using English to consume news media
John Harrington, Associated Press
Hispanic adults in the United States are more likely to consume news media in English than ever before, according to a report the Pew Hispanic Center issued Tuesday.
“In 2012, 82 percent of Hispanic adults said they got at least some of their news in English, up from 78 percent who said the same in 2006,” co-authors Mark Hugo Lopez and Ana Gonzalez-Barrera wrote. “By contrast, the share who get at least some of their news in Spanish has declined, to 68 percent in 2012 from 78 percent in 2006.”
After accounting for the large segment of Hispanic adults who consume media in both English and Spanish, the following data emerged from the report:
Percentage of Hispanic adults who consume news media
in English and Spanish: 50 percent
only in English: 32 percent
only in Spanish: 18 percent
The new Pew report also noted that, associated with the rise of Latinos’ English-language news media consumption, “a number of new news outlets that offer Hispanic-focused news in English have been launched in recent years. Websites such as NBC Latino, Univision’s news tumblr and Fox News Latino all provide news coverage of issues relevant to the Hispanic community in English. And soon ABC News and Univision will launch a new cable network, Fusion, that will provide 24-hour news and information programming in English directed at Hispanics.”
- The Latest: Defiant Kentucky clerk goes to...
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- Kentucky clerks to license marriages as their...
- Republican Huckabee to visit jailed Kentucky...
- Trump vows no third-party bid, will back GOP...
- Disney unveils Star Wars toys amid marketing...
- Drowned Syrian boys buried in hometown they fled
- Gold fever hits Poland with possible...
- Kentucky clerk still won't issue... 129
- The Latest: Defiant Kentucky clerk goes... 115
- Kentucky clerks to license marriages as... 81
- Compromise could fix Kentucky's wedding... 62
- Latest Clinton emails show frustrations... 26
- In Alaska, Obama depicts stark future... 21
- Obama gets Iran deal win as Senate Dems... 21
- AP sources: GOP seeks pledge to avert... 20