SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters made the pur-fect rescue Tuesday morning.
Using an oxygen mask specifically designed for felines and giving the animal chest compressions, Salt Lake City firefighters were able to rescue and revive a cat pulled from a burning house.
The incident began just before 8:30 a.m. at 1082 S. 1100 East. A person walking by the house noticed smoke coming out of the chimney. The passerby thought it was odd for someone to have a fire at that time of day, in the middle of the summer and on a day when temperatures were expected to reach 100 degrees, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
The passer-by called 911 when no one answered the door. By the time fire crews arrived, even more smoke was coming from the house, Asay said.
A fire was located in the kitchen. The flames were under control in 10 minutes, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the structure, he said.
Firefighters found two cats dead inside the house and a third alive but unconscious. They took the cat outside and began resuscitation efforts. Using the specialized mask, they were able to revive the feline.
Investigators believed there may be a fourth cat that got out of the house. As of 10:30 a.m., investigators were still looking for the homeowner.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- 4 honored with 2016 Public Service Awards
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 15
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 12
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9