SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters made the pur-fect rescue Tuesday morning.
Using an oxygen mask specifically designed for felines and giving the animal chest compressions, Salt Lake City firefighters were able to rescue and revive a cat pulled from a burning house.
The incident began just before 8:30 a.m. at 1082 S. 1100 East. A person walking by the house noticed smoke coming out of the chimney. The passerby thought it was odd for someone to have a fire at that time of day, in the middle of the summer and on a day when temperatures were expected to reach 100 degrees, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
The passer-by called 911 when no one answered the door. By the time fire crews arrived, even more smoke was coming from the house, Asay said.
A fire was located in the kitchen. The flames were under control in 10 minutes, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the structure, he said.
Firefighters found two cats dead inside the house and a third alive but unconscious. They took the cat outside and began resuscitation efforts. Using the specialized mask, they were able to revive the feline.
Investigators believed there may be a fourth cat that got out of the house. As of 10:30 a.m., investigators were still looking for the homeowner.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17