SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters made the pur-fect rescue Tuesday morning.
Using an oxygen mask specifically designed for felines and giving the animal chest compressions, Salt Lake City firefighters were able to rescue and revive a cat pulled from a burning house.
The incident began just before 8:30 a.m. at 1082 S. 1100 East. A person walking by the house noticed smoke coming out of the chimney. The passerby thought it was odd for someone to have a fire at that time of day, in the middle of the summer and on a day when temperatures were expected to reach 100 degrees, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
The passer-by called 911 when no one answered the door. By the time fire crews arrived, even more smoke was coming from the house, Asay said.
A fire was located in the kitchen. The flames were under control in 10 minutes, but there was heavy smoke damage throughout the structure, he said.
Firefighters found two cats dead inside the house and a third alive but unconscious. They took the cat outside and began resuscitation efforts. Using the specialized mask, they were able to revive the feline.
Investigators believed there may be a fourth cat that got out of the house. As of 10:30 a.m., investigators were still looking for the homeowner.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21