Monday's bull riding competition was full of Utah riders, including former world champion Steve Woolsey of Payson. He didn't make the whistle, but four other Utah cowboys did, including Morgan's Hutch Haslam, who missed a couple of months after a kick to the head in the Moab rodeo. Haslam now sits in second place overall after earning the night's highest score of 86 points.
"It feels really good," he said smiling. "I've been riding OK, but this was a pretty good night." The 27-year-old said he isn't sure how severe his head injury was as he "just got stitched up and then took it easy for a while." He sort of skirted questions about whether or not a doctor was involved in deciding how much recovery time he might need.
"I'm pretty excited," he said of Monday's ride. "I have a long road ahead, but I'm just having fun riding."
Another world champ, Wesley Silcox, leads the bull riding overall with a score of 89 points. Joe Frost of Randlett, Utah, was second with 77 points, while Tooele's Shawn Proctor was thrid with 73 points.
In bareback riding, Will Lowe, an 11-time qualifier for the national finals, earned the night's top score with an 86-point ride. Colt Kitaif and Morgan Wilde tied for second with 79 points each.
In tie-down roping J.C. Malone of Roy won with a time of 8.1 seconds, while Ryle Smith of California was second with a time of 8.2 seconds. Neola's Nancy Hunter was the fastest barrel racer of the night with a time of 13.69 seconds. Arizona's Sarah Kieckhefer was second with a time of 13.71, and Marvel Murphy was third with a time of 13.82 seconds.
In steer wrestling, Tyler Pearson was first with a time of 3.8 seconds; Stockton Graves was second with a time of 3.9 seconds; and Riley Duvall was third with a time of 4.6 seconds.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 46
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 36
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30