Commentary: Utah Utes football presented with biggest opportunity in program history
Tell that to Barry Switzer. Most Utah fans remember how high he was on Alabama prior to the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Five minutes into the game, it was clear that he had prepared for the game by gulping Crimson Tide brand Kool-Aid by the gallon.
None of this, however, makes the impending season any easier.
Absolutely what the Utes have on the doorstep is the biggest challenge the school's football team has ever faced over the course of a season. It's very possible that they will fail, and most are saying it's likely.
However, it is also the program's biggest opportunity ever.
If they do beat Oregon, Stanford, Utah State, BYU, USC, Arizona State and everyone else, there will be no dispute like there was after the 2008 season as to where the Utes belong in the final rankings. They will have beaten the best, and by so doing, will be the best.
When the Utes hoisted their Fiesta and Sugar Bowl trophies, they earned the opportunity to demonstrate that the "little team that could" could also be a "big team that can." That's what any football program wants: a chance to prove they're the best by beating the best.
The Utes wanted that opportunity for decades. They got that opportunity when they joined the Pac-12 three years ago. Now, they get to show if they're up to it.
Note: This article has been modified from its original version to correct inaccurate information. Utah has had two players named to 2013 college football award preseason watch lists, not one.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49