Commentary: Utah Utes football presented with biggest opportunity in program history
Tell that to Barry Switzer. Most Utah fans remember how high he was on Alabama prior to the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Five minutes into the game, it was clear that he had prepared for the game by gulping Crimson Tide brand Kool-Aid by the gallon.
None of this, however, makes the impending season any easier.
Absolutely what the Utes have on the doorstep is the biggest challenge the school's football team has ever faced over the course of a season. It's very possible that they will fail, and most are saying it's likely.
However, it is also the program's biggest opportunity ever.
If they do beat Oregon, Stanford, Utah State, BYU, USC, Arizona State and everyone else, there will be no dispute like there was after the 2008 season as to where the Utes belong in the final rankings. They will have beaten the best, and by so doing, will be the best.
When the Utes hoisted their Fiesta and Sugar Bowl trophies, they earned the opportunity to demonstrate that the "little team that could" could also be a "big team that can." That's what any football program wants: a chance to prove they're the best by beating the best.
The Utes wanted that opportunity for decades. They got that opportunity when they joined the Pac-12 three years ago. Now, they get to show if they're up to it.
Note: This article has been modified from its original version to correct inaccurate information. Utah has had two players named to 2013 college football award preseason watch lists, not one.
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 17