Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward bonding again — with each other and Team USA
“I’m just out here playing, trying to compete, trying to earn me a spot on the team,” said Favors, who had one strong move to the hoop for a layup in the short scrimmage. “I’m just trying to do anything, whether it’s defense or rebounding, talking on defense, blocking shots, running the court — just anything to separate myself, something to catch their eye.”
Hayward said he’s using this week — the mini-camp ends with a public scrimmage Thursday at the Thomas & Mack Center — as another “learning experience.” The 6-8 small forward’s hustle on defense caused a few turnovers in the final scrimmage. He also joked that Favors got away with a foul on him.
“You just come out here and compete,” Hayward said. “That’s all they ask you to do — play hard, play the right way. You don’t need to put on a scoring clinic or anything, just go out and do the right thing.”
Do that enough times, and you might get lucky enough to play alongside LeBron James, Chris Paul & Co. with a gold medal on the line.
“You’re put into these environments to show you can play and to show you belong, to get a tryout to make the team,” Hayward said. “I’ve been lucky enough to play for one of the youth teams, and there’s nothing like it. Playing in high school and college and in the NBA, there’s nothing like playing for your country.”
One thing that might top that?
Playing for your country with a trusted teammate.
“I think we’ve both come a long way,” Hayward said of himself and Favors. “We still have a lot more work to do, but I wouldn’t have any other big guy than Fav-O with me.”
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- BYU football: Five questions with a Middle...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34