3-year-old Paxton Norton remembered by friends, family and LDS general authorities
Taking the stand, Elder Holland then addressed the congregation, expressing his gratitude for the opportunity to be in attendance.
Before sharing the message written to the family from the First Presidency, Elder Holland expressed that nothing more needed to be added to what he described as a "picture perfect service."
Elder Holland then read the letter, sharing that each member of the First Presidency had wished they could be in attendance as well.
“We extend our heartfelt sorrow and sympathy to you and your family. As parents and grandparents, we understand the sorrow you feel at this tender time of parting with a beloved child,” Elder Holland read. “The Savior loved children, and you can be certain that Paxton is now a recipient of the Lord’s love in that sphere where he will await a happy reunion with those he left here on earth.
“Although there is no substitute for the physical presence and affection of one so loving and so young, we pray that you will receive the blessed assurance that Paxton is perfectly happy and once again with our Father in Heaven.”
Elder Holland then said he would address his remarks to the living, to those who still struggle in this earthly life.
“(Paxton’s) probably the one thing we’re really sure about,” Elder Holland expressed. “The jury is still out on all of the rest of us.”
Elder Holland continued to counsel the members of the congregation to learn from what they had felt during the funeral service, expressing that such services bring a special spirit. He continued to remind the congregation that "this world is not our home. It is a reminder that we are not all going to stay here.”
Elder Holland described the importance of preparing now, counseling that it would be wise to prepare for that day the moment we arrive on this earth, just as Paxton had done.
“This is a sad day of parting, but it is not a tragic day of death,” Elder Holland said as he rejoiced in the knowledge of Jesus Christ’s atonement and resurrection. “I testify that Paxton Norton is this very moment rejoicing in the spirit world, a paradise prepared for just such a pure, beautiful and innocent spirit.”
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11