3-year-old Paxton Norton remembered by friends, family and LDS general authorities
Taking the stand, Elder Holland then addressed the congregation, expressing his gratitude for the opportunity to be in attendance.
Before sharing the message written to the family from the First Presidency, Elder Holland expressed that nothing more needed to be added to what he described as a "picture perfect service."
Elder Holland then read the letter, sharing that each member of the First Presidency had wished they could be in attendance as well.
“We extend our heartfelt sorrow and sympathy to you and your family. As parents and grandparents, we understand the sorrow you feel at this tender time of parting with a beloved child,” Elder Holland read. “The Savior loved children, and you can be certain that Paxton is now a recipient of the Lord’s love in that sphere where he will await a happy reunion with those he left here on earth.
“Although there is no substitute for the physical presence and affection of one so loving and so young, we pray that you will receive the blessed assurance that Paxton is perfectly happy and once again with our Father in Heaven.”
Elder Holland then said he would address his remarks to the living, to those who still struggle in this earthly life.
“(Paxton’s) probably the one thing we’re really sure about,” Elder Holland expressed. “The jury is still out on all of the rest of us.”
Elder Holland continued to counsel the members of the congregation to learn from what they had felt during the funeral service, expressing that such services bring a special spirit. He continued to remind the congregation that "this world is not our home. It is a reminder that we are not all going to stay here.”
Elder Holland described the importance of preparing now, counseling that it would be wise to prepare for that day the moment we arrive on this earth, just as Paxton had done.
“This is a sad day of parting, but it is not a tragic day of death,” Elder Holland said as he rejoiced in the knowledge of Jesus Christ’s atonement and resurrection. “I testify that Paxton Norton is this very moment rejoicing in the spirit world, a paradise prepared for just such a pure, beautiful and innocent spirit.”
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4