England’s new gay marriage law lets man be ‘wife,’ woman be ‘husband’
However, what hasn’t been as widely reported is that that legislation — The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill — also allows same-sex couples historic liberties with how they use the traditionally gender-specific terms “husband” and “wife.”
“A man can be a ‘wife’ and a woman can be a ‘husband,’ the UK government has decided, overruling the Oxford English Dictionary and effectively putting an end to the traditional meanings of the words for marriage partners,” the international news website RT.com reported last month. “ Updated explanatory notes in The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill being considered by the government is causing it to have to redefine the two terms, ‘clarifying’ what it means.
“(The new footnote says), ‘Husband' here will include a man or a woman in a same sex marriage, as well as a man married to a woman. In a similar way, 'wife' will include a woman married to another woman or a man married to a man.”
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Want to help a sex trafficking victim get on...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- Japan's prime minister 'speechless' after...
- Deseret News National Edition explores...
- Possible 2016 GOP candidates pitch ideas at...
- Vaccinate the economy against disease
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt Lake speech
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 77
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 27
- House Republicans run into divisions... 21
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Iowa Sen. Ernst promises GOP focus on... 13
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12