England’s new gay marriage law lets man be ‘wife,’ woman be ‘husband’
However, what hasn’t been as widely reported is that that legislation — The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill — also allows same-sex couples historic liberties with how they use the traditionally gender-specific terms “husband” and “wife.”
“A man can be a ‘wife’ and a woman can be a ‘husband,’ the UK government has decided, overruling the Oxford English Dictionary and effectively putting an end to the traditional meanings of the words for marriage partners,” the international news website RT.com reported last month. “ Updated explanatory notes in The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill being considered by the government is causing it to have to redefine the two terms, ‘clarifying’ what it means.
“(The new footnote says), ‘Husband' here will include a man or a woman in a same sex marriage, as well as a man married to a woman. In a similar way, 'wife' will include a woman married to another woman or a man married to a man.”
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Social Entreprenuers: Startups set to change...
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13