England’s new gay marriage law lets man be ‘wife,’ woman be ‘husband’
However, what hasn’t been as widely reported is that that legislation — The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill — also allows same-sex couples historic liberties with how they use the traditionally gender-specific terms “husband” and “wife.”
“A man can be a ‘wife’ and a woman can be a ‘husband,’ the UK government has decided, overruling the Oxford English Dictionary and effectively putting an end to the traditional meanings of the words for marriage partners,” the international news website RT.com reported last month. “ Updated explanatory notes in The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill being considered by the government is causing it to have to redefine the two terms, ‘clarifying’ what it means.
“(The new footnote says), ‘Husband' here will include a man or a woman in a same sex marriage, as well as a man married to a woman. In a similar way, 'wife' will include a woman married to another woman or a man married to a man.”
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Officials suggest possibility of reforming...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Life support ends for dead Irishwoman, live...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 12
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Judge seems skeptical of challenge to... 4
- Bergdahl investigation report goes to... 4