New polls: Zimmerman verdict divides Americans along racial lines
Joe Burbank, AP
Forty-nine percent of white Americans are satisfied that George Zimmerman was acquitted of all criminal charges related to the death of Trayvon Martin, according to new polling the Pew Research Center released Monday.
For Hispanics, that approval rate drops to 25 percent.
And for blacks, only 5 percent are satisfied with the Zimmerman trial’s outcome.
“By an 86 percent to 5 percent margin, blacks are dissatisfied with Zimmerman’s acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin,” the Pew Research Center reported. “And nearly eight-in-10 blacks (78 percent) say the case raises important issues about race that need to be discussed. Among whites, more are satisfied (49 percent) than dissatisfied (30 percent) with the outcome of the Zimmerman trial. Just 28 percent of whites say the case raises important issues about race, while twice as many (60 percent) say the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves.”
In similar polling also released Monday, Gallup asked Americans whether they think the Zimmerman verdict was right or wrong. “An overwhelming 85 percent of blacks say the verdict in this case was wrong,” Frank Newport wrote Monday for Gallup. “A majority of whites (54 percent), on the other hand, say the verdict was right.”
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Police, protesters collide again in... 21
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14