New polls: Zimmerman verdict divides Americans along racial lines
Joe Burbank, AP
Forty-nine percent of white Americans are satisfied that George Zimmerman was acquitted of all criminal charges related to the death of Trayvon Martin, according to new polling the Pew Research Center released Monday.
For Hispanics, that approval rate drops to 25 percent.
And for blacks, only 5 percent are satisfied with the Zimmerman trial’s outcome.
“By an 86 percent to 5 percent margin, blacks are dissatisfied with Zimmerman’s acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin,” the Pew Research Center reported. “And nearly eight-in-10 blacks (78 percent) say the case raises important issues about race that need to be discussed. Among whites, more are satisfied (49 percent) than dissatisfied (30 percent) with the outcome of the Zimmerman trial. Just 28 percent of whites say the case raises important issues about race, while twice as many (60 percent) say the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves.”
In similar polling also released Monday, Gallup asked Americans whether they think the Zimmerman verdict was right or wrong. “An overwhelming 85 percent of blacks say the verdict in this case was wrong,” Frank Newport wrote Monday for Gallup. “A majority of whites (54 percent), on the other hand, say the verdict was right.”
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- This innovative high school program is...
- 'Tomorrowland' takes top spot at box office...
- A mountain submarine? What the heck?
- IRS says thieves stole tax info from more...
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 18
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 16
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- Democrats see skimpy insurance as the... 11
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 10