New polls: Zimmerman verdict divides Americans along racial lines
Joe Burbank, AP
Forty-nine percent of white Americans are satisfied that George Zimmerman was acquitted of all criminal charges related to the death of Trayvon Martin, according to new polling the Pew Research Center released Monday.
For Hispanics, that approval rate drops to 25 percent.
And for blacks, only 5 percent are satisfied with the Zimmerman trial’s outcome.
“By an 86 percent to 5 percent margin, blacks are dissatisfied with Zimmerman’s acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin,” the Pew Research Center reported. “And nearly eight-in-10 blacks (78 percent) say the case raises important issues about race that need to be discussed. Among whites, more are satisfied (49 percent) than dissatisfied (30 percent) with the outcome of the Zimmerman trial. Just 28 percent of whites say the case raises important issues about race, while twice as many (60 percent) say the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves.”
In similar polling also released Monday, Gallup asked Americans whether they think the Zimmerman verdict was right or wrong. “An overwhelming 85 percent of blacks say the verdict in this case was wrong,” Frank Newport wrote Monday for Gallup. “A majority of whites (54 percent), on the other hand, say the verdict was right.”
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Sex and violence harm rather than help...
- Man describes find that could solve MH370...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 108
- Religious groups react to Boy... 78
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- 2016 Republicans use Trump, TV to make... 26
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 17