New polls: Zimmerman verdict divides Americans along racial lines
Joe Burbank, AP
Forty-nine percent of white Americans are satisfied that George Zimmerman was acquitted of all criminal charges related to the death of Trayvon Martin, according to new polling the Pew Research Center released Monday.
For Hispanics, that approval rate drops to 25 percent.
And for blacks, only 5 percent are satisfied with the Zimmerman trial’s outcome.
“By an 86 percent to 5 percent margin, blacks are dissatisfied with Zimmerman’s acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin,” the Pew Research Center reported. “And nearly eight-in-10 blacks (78 percent) say the case raises important issues about race that need to be discussed. Among whites, more are satisfied (49 percent) than dissatisfied (30 percent) with the outcome of the Zimmerman trial. Just 28 percent of whites say the case raises important issues about race, while twice as many (60 percent) say the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves.”
In similar polling also released Monday, Gallup asked Americans whether they think the Zimmerman verdict was right or wrong. “An overwhelming 85 percent of blacks say the verdict in this case was wrong,” Frank Newport wrote Monday for Gallup. “A majority of whites (54 percent), on the other hand, say the verdict was right.”
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Farewell to VCRs: Japanese maker to shelve...
- At least 15 killed, dozens injured in knifing...
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their...
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34