Nations with more mandated paid time off than the United States
With Pioneer Day just around the corner, many are probably thinking through holiday plans for this Wednesday unless, of course, you are required to work, in which case you may be tired of turning down invitations to barbecues. But what can you do? There's no mandate that requires employers to give you Pioneer Day off.
There are some countries, however, that do prescribe paid time off for workers each year.
Of 21 developed countries, the United States is the only one that does not mandate a set amount of paid vacation time, according to a recent study by the Center for Economic and Policy Research.
Ranging from Austria and Portugal's 35 days of paid vacation and holidays to Japan's 10 paid vacation days, all other countries dwarf the United States when it comes to paid time off.
It is common practice for U.S. businesses to offer some vacation time and holidays, even though it is not required by law. Interestingly, Americans -- a quarter of whom don't receive any vacation time -- rarely use all of their vacation days, even if they have them.
So if you find yourself sitting behind the cash register this Pioneer Day, just remember, Austria is beautiful this time of year.
Freeman Stevenson is a Snow College grad and is the DeseretNews.com opinion intern who is as we speak is coming up with an elaborate plan to get Columbus Day off. Reach me at fstevenson@deseretdigital or @freemandesnews
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- Letter: Pay for your share
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Kent Jones: Anticipating the forthcoming...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 71
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22