OREM — An Orem man died Saturday night after being thrown from his motorcycle earlier in the day on University Parkway near State Street.
Killed was Jal W. Oomrigar, 27, Orem police said.
A Utah County Sheriff's deputy traveling on University Parkway at 2:30 p.m. Saturday saw a man come up behind him on a motorcycle at a high rate of speed, Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said. The deputy saw the man weaving in and out of traffic and passing between cars but reportedly slowed down after seeing the deputy's vehicle.
Martinez said after passing the deputy, the motorcyclist again accelerated to speeds in excess of 90 mph. When the deputy came up over the next hill he was flagged down by witnesses who had seen the motorcycle run into the back of a stopped car.
Oomrigar was not wearing a helmet when he was thrown from his motorcycle, Martinez said. He died at a local hospital at about 8 p.m.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17