OREM — An Orem man died Saturday night after being thrown from his motorcycle earlier in the day on University Parkway near State Street.
Killed was Jal W. Oomrigar, 27, Orem police said.
A Utah County Sheriff's deputy traveling on University Parkway at 2:30 p.m. Saturday saw a man come up behind him on a motorcycle at a high rate of speed, Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said. The deputy saw the man weaving in and out of traffic and passing between cars but reportedly slowed down after seeing the deputy's vehicle.
Martinez said after passing the deputy, the motorcyclist again accelerated to speeds in excess of 90 mph. When the deputy came up over the next hill he was flagged down by witnesses who had seen the motorcycle run into the back of a stopped car.
Oomrigar was not wearing a helmet when he was thrown from his motorcycle, Martinez said. He died at a local hospital at about 8 p.m.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 12