Utah Blaze: Blaze play Barnstormers in first Iowa Bacon Bowl
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
DES MOINES, Iowa — The expression “Bring home the bacon” is typically attached to winning a contest or event. The idiom has an entirely new meaning now.
The Utah Blaze (5-11) hit the road to take on the Iowa Barnstormers (6-10) in the first Iowa Bacon Bowl. The Barnstormers partnered with the Iowa Bacon Board to reflect the prominence of pork sales in the state. The winner will walk away with a “bacon-inspired” trophy.
And who doesn’t love fried pig?
Marco Thomas ranks second in the AFL in catches per game (9.29) and sixth in receiving yards per game (104.1) for Iowa. Thus far, he’s tallied 130 receptions for 1,457 yards and 28 touchdowns. Jess Schmidt has caught 65 balls for 654 yards and 18 scores while Marcus Harris has recorded 87 receptions for 1,146 yards and 19 touchdowns.
In the first meeting Utah topped Iowa 43-34 May 18 in Salt Lake City.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 12