Utah Blaze: Blaze play Barnstormers in first Iowa Bacon Bowl
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
DES MOINES, Iowa — The expression “Bring home the bacon” is typically attached to winning a contest or event. The idiom has an entirely new meaning now.
The Utah Blaze (5-11) hit the road to take on the Iowa Barnstormers (6-10) in the first Iowa Bacon Bowl. The Barnstormers partnered with the Iowa Bacon Board to reflect the prominence of pork sales in the state. The winner will walk away with a “bacon-inspired” trophy.
And who doesn’t love fried pig?
Marco Thomas ranks second in the AFL in catches per game (9.29) and sixth in receiving yards per game (104.1) for Iowa. Thus far, he’s tallied 130 receptions for 1,457 yards and 28 touchdowns. Jess Schmidt has caught 65 balls for 654 yards and 18 scores while Marcus Harris has recorded 87 receptions for 1,146 yards and 19 touchdowns.
In the first meeting Utah topped Iowa 43-34 May 18 in Salt Lake City.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 66
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37