Utah Blaze: Blaze play Barnstormers in first Iowa Bacon Bowl
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
DES MOINES, Iowa — The expression “Bring home the bacon” is typically attached to winning a contest or event. The idiom has an entirely new meaning now.
The Utah Blaze (5-11) hit the road to take on the Iowa Barnstormers (6-10) in the first Iowa Bacon Bowl. The Barnstormers partnered with the Iowa Bacon Board to reflect the prominence of pork sales in the state. The winner will walk away with a “bacon-inspired” trophy.
And who doesn’t love fried pig?
Marco Thomas ranks second in the AFL in catches per game (9.29) and sixth in receiving yards per game (104.1) for Iowa. Thus far, he’s tallied 130 receptions for 1,457 yards and 28 touchdowns. Jess Schmidt has caught 65 balls for 654 yards and 18 scores while Marcus Harris has recorded 87 receptions for 1,146 yards and 19 touchdowns.
In the first meeting Utah topped Iowa 43-34 May 18 in Salt Lake City.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 36
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17