Utah Jazz: Brad Jones officially named full-time assistant coach to replace Jeff Hornacek
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz finally announced something that has been public for weeks — Brad Jones is taking Jeff Hornacek's old spot on the bench.
Earlier this summer — as the Deseret News reported on June 28 — Jones joined Sydney Lowe and Michael Sanders as a full-time assistant on Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin's staff. Jones, a former Jazz scout, was the team's director of player development during the 2012-13 season after rejoining the organization following a D-League stint as the head coach of the Austin Toros.
"I am very pleased with the basketball staff we have assembled," Corbin said in a statement Friday. "Brad is a talented, well-respected coach with a proven track-record of success who earned this promotion. I look forward to working with him more closely in his new, expanded role."
The hiring of Jones was needed after Hornacek became the Phoenix Suns' new head coach earlier this offseason.
The Jazz still haven't announced that former University of Utah standout Alex Jensen will replace Jones — and share duties with Johnnie Bryant — on the player development staff, as the Deseret News also reported a couple of weeks ago.
Utah has also added Hall of Famers Jerry Sloan (senior basketball adviser) and Karl Malone (part-time big men's coach) to its organization this summer.
Jensen is currently coaching the D-League Select Team at the Las Vegas Summer League tournament, having led the NBA hopefuls to the quarterfinals with a 4-0 record. Jensen, who was Rick Majerus' assistant at St. Louis University from 2007-11, was named D-League coach of the year last season with the Canton Charge.
Jones has vast experience in the NBA's minor league, having led the Toros to the 2012 championship after a 2007-10 run as the inaugural coach of the Utah Flash.
Jones, the nephew of Jerry Sloan's late wife, Bobbye, was a regional scout for the Jazz from 2001-07. He also had a tenure as the head coach of his alma mater, Lambuth University in Jackson, Tenn., from 1995-2001.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- With rookie Dante Exum in starting lineup,...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Gutsy guard: Perseverance has paid off for...
- Wells brings in 2 new coordinators to...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 97
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 59
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26