SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has named María E. Fránquiz as dean of the College of Education, effective Jan. 6, 2014, contingent upon the approval of President David Pershing and the University board of trustees.
“María Fránquiz is a nationally recognized scholar in the field of education who brings to Utah and the university a rich and extensive background of teaching, research and community engagement,” said Michael Hardman, interim senior vice president for Academic Affairs. “She is committed to the highest quality faculty scholarship, has a lifelong passion for teaching and possesses a deep understanding of literacy, learning and culture.”
Fránquiz received her doctorate at the University of California, Santa Barbara, in 1995 and currently teaches qualitative research methods and bilingual teacher education at The University of Texas at Austin.
Fránquiz is co-editor of the Bilingual Research Journal and has served on various national and international editorial boards.
She is a native of Puerto Rico and was taught in diverse communities during her elementary and secondary education, including Panama and Germany as well as several U.S. states.
“The outstanding work, reputation and commitment of the faculty and staff in addressing the issues facing education during challenging economic times led me to accept the invitation for this position,” Fránquiz said. “I’m especially looking forward to strengthening existing school-community-university partnerships recognized in the region and beyond.”
Fránquiz replaces Hardman who served as dean of the College of Education until 2012 and is currently the interim senior vice president for Academic Affairs. John McDonnell, who is currently the interim education dean, will step down on Aug. 1, and Michael Gardner, professor of educational psychology, will serve as acting dean until Fránquiz’s arrival.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 50
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 17
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15