It is better to have smoked and stopped than never to have smoked at all, according to new research by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
Those who quit smoking for at least a year, according to the study, earned higher wages than smokers and people who never picked up the habit.
In fact, nonsmokers earn roughly 5 percent less than former smokers in the workplace.
According the researchers, the characteristics of former smokers are typically more highly rewarded in the workplace, namely the persistence, patience and “everything else that goes along with being able to quit.”
That may explain why former smokers are able to impress their supervisors, but still leaves the question of why a smoker would earn less than someone who never started.
Though it would make sense that frequent smoking breaks might curb productivity, resulting in unsatisfied employers, the research doesn’t suggest that’s the case.
“If the productivity was affected by smoking, than heavier smokers would have a much larger wage gap,” M. Melinda Pitts, one of the lead researchers on the study, told the Wall Street Journal. “We didn’t find support for this hypothesis.”
Pitts and her fellow researcher, Julie L. Hotchkiss, believe the wage gap between smokers and nonsmokers comes from more nuanced factors, like education level of the average smoker and the employer’s tolerance to smoking behavior.
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4