LDS Church member Yeah Samake continues to campaign as Mali presidential elections near
Photo Courtesy of Robert Walton, All
With hopes to bring democracy and education into the country’s focus, LDS presidential candidate Yeah Samake looks to win Mali’s presidential election scheduled for July 28.
BYU University Communications released a video about BYU alumnus Samake, which highlights the goals and vision he has for Mali.
“Education is a very important message for the people of Mali,” Samake said in the video. “I’m the living illustration of that.”
Mali is one of the world’s 10 poorest countries, and in the video clip Samake explained how his father’s drive to educate his children helped the family break the long chain of poverty.
Samake graduated from BYU with his master’s degree in 2004, and although he and his wife enjoyed Utah, they decided to move back to Mali.
“I could have stayed here (Utah), but truly, America does not need me. My country needs me,” Samake said.
In 2009 Samake was elected mayor of Ouelessebougou, Mali. In the various villages he oversaw, Samake increased the percentage of taxpayers, introduced solar power and built 15 new school buildings.
Samake hopes to see positive changes in his country’s future.
“My hope is Mali can become a Democracy, that Mali becomes a country where we have peace and prosperity,” Samake said in the clip.
- The Clean Cut: David Archuleta sings 'If the...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- LDS Church to send email newsletters to...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- New friends plan to work together to... 63
- Evangelicals with gay children... 28
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 11
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle... 10
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 8
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5
- Can Jews and Muslims get along? 60... 5