LDS Church member Yeah Samake continues to campaign as Mali presidential elections near
Photo Courtesy of Robert Walton, All
With hopes to bring democracy and education into the country’s focus, LDS presidential candidate Yeah Samake looks to win Mali’s presidential election scheduled for July 28.
BYU University Communications released a video about BYU alumnus Samake, which highlights the goals and vision he has for Mali.
“Education is a very important message for the people of Mali,” Samake said in the video. “I’m the living illustration of that.”
Mali is one of the world’s 10 poorest countries, and in the video clip Samake explained how his father’s drive to educate his children helped the family break the long chain of poverty.
Samake graduated from BYU with his master’s degree in 2004, and although he and his wife enjoyed Utah, they decided to move back to Mali.
“I could have stayed here (Utah), but truly, America does not need me. My country needs me,” Samake said.
In 2009 Samake was elected mayor of Ouelessebougou, Mali. In the various villages he oversaw, Samake increased the percentage of taxpayers, introduced solar power and built 15 new school buildings.
Samake hopes to see positive changes in his country’s future.
“My hope is Mali can become a Democracy, that Mali becomes a country where we have peace and prosperity,” Samake said in the clip.
- Story of LDS man who forgave drunk driver for...
- Jentrie's Journey: Mormon mom of 3 battles...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- Woman discusses pornography addiction in new...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- LDS missionaries reunite man with his lost...
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- Why I make my kids go to church 56
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 51
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 29
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning... 15
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 12
- Senate panel endorses... 10
- Elder Holland discusses religious... 8
- Woman discusses pornography addiction... 8