Man killed in single-vehicle crash on Mountain View Corridor
RIVERTON — Police are investigating a single-vehicle crash on the Mountain View Corridor that left one man dead Friday.
The crash occurred just after 9 a.m. near 13600 South when the driver of a white Ford F-150 traveling north began to swerve, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. The man swerved into the center median, then returned to the road and over-corrected, rolling the vehicle.
"No other vehicles were struck," Hoyal said.
The driver, who was the lone occupant of the vehicle, was pinned in the crash and died at the scene. He was identified as David Chad Mortensen, 41, of Provo.
The crash prompted the closure of northbound lanes of the Mountain View Corridor between 13400 South and Rosecrest Road, which Hoyal estimated would remain in place until early afternoon. Southbound travel was unaffected by the crash.
Investigators do not believe speed was a factor in the accident and are looking into what may have caused the man to start swerving, Hoyal said.
Utah Department of Transportation officials confirmed Friday that the death was the first fatality on the freeway, the bulk of which opened just last year. Construction began on the freeway in 2010. It services 13 municipalities.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 30
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13