Man killed in single-vehicle crash on Mountain View Corridor
RIVERTON — Police are investigating a single-vehicle crash on the Mountain View Corridor that left one man dead Friday.
The crash occurred just after 9 a.m. near 13600 South when the driver of a white Ford F-150 traveling north began to swerve, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. The man swerved into the center median, then returned to the road and over-corrected, rolling the vehicle.
"No other vehicles were struck," Hoyal said.
The driver, who was the lone occupant of the vehicle, was pinned in the crash and died at the scene. He was identified as David Chad Mortensen, 41, of Provo.
The crash prompted the closure of northbound lanes of the Mountain View Corridor between 13400 South and Rosecrest Road, which Hoyal estimated would remain in place until early afternoon. Southbound travel was unaffected by the crash.
Investigators do not believe speed was a factor in the accident and are looking into what may have caused the man to start swerving, Hoyal said.
Utah Department of Transportation officials confirmed Friday that the death was the first fatality on the freeway, the bulk of which opened just last year. Construction began on the freeway in 2010. It services 13 municipalities.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 90
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 34
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- Gov. Gary Herbert's 'big change' over... 22