Manziel hasn’t been in trouble with the law, but he’s been seen at bars and gotten a reputation as a partier. Last week, he was dismissed as a counselor from the Manning Passing Academy after failing to fulfill obligations amid rumors he was hung over from the night before. Manziel apologized, but didn’t act like he was about to change anything.
“I’m still 20 years old. I still do things in college that everybody else does and I’m going to continue to enjoy my life. Hopefully people don’t hold me to a higher standard than that, but I’m still in college and I’m going to live my life to the fullest.”
It’s easy for college kids like Henderson and Manziel to only think about enjoying the moment rather than how they affect their loved ones and their own futures. It’s always easier to look back when you get older, which is why Henderson should take the advice of those who have goofed up in a similar way.
Chris Herren, the former Fresno State and NBA basketball player who battled drug and alcohol addiction, gave some advice to Henderson, a player he “loves” on the court for the way he plays, in an interview with USA Today.
“Ultimately he needs to get down to the reason why a substance is more important that yourself, your family and your future,” Herren said. “Whether it’s basketball, football, baseball or any sport at a high level, the price to pay is a lot of pressure. That’s why he needs to incorporate some balance in his life and surround himself with people who have the same dream he does.”
Henderson may have already run out of second chances. But let’s hope he takes the advice of Herren and others to turn his life around for good.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 63
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51