Manziel hasn’t been in trouble with the law, but he’s been seen at bars and gotten a reputation as a partier. Last week, he was dismissed as a counselor from the Manning Passing Academy after failing to fulfill obligations amid rumors he was hung over from the night before. Manziel apologized, but didn’t act like he was about to change anything.
“I’m still 20 years old. I still do things in college that everybody else does and I’m going to continue to enjoy my life. Hopefully people don’t hold me to a higher standard than that, but I’m still in college and I’m going to live my life to the fullest.”
It’s easy for college kids like Henderson and Manziel to only think about enjoying the moment rather than how they affect their loved ones and their own futures. It’s always easier to look back when you get older, which is why Henderson should take the advice of those who have goofed up in a similar way.
Chris Herren, the former Fresno State and NBA basketball player who battled drug and alcohol addiction, gave some advice to Henderson, a player he “loves” on the court for the way he plays, in an interview with USA Today.
“Ultimately he needs to get down to the reason why a substance is more important that yourself, your family and your future,” Herren said. “Whether it’s basketball, football, baseball or any sport at a high level, the price to pay is a lot of pressure. That’s why he needs to incorporate some balance in his life and surround himself with people who have the same dream he does.”
Henderson may have already run out of second chances. But let’s hope he takes the advice of Herren and others to turn his life around for good.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33