BYU football: Kyle Van Noy named candidate for 2013 Walter Camp Award
The watch list for the Walter Camp Award, given by the Walter Camp Foundation to college football's most outstanding player, was released Friday morning, and BYU's Kyle Van Noy is a candidate.
Coming off an All-America season in 2012, the 6-foot-4, 245-pound outside linebacker finished tied for second nationally with 13 sacks and six forced fumbles, and ranked No. 4 in the nation with 22 tackles for loss. Van Noy is the only FBS player in each of the past two seasons to record a stat in every major defensive category and has helped BYU achieve bowl wins in each of his three seasons in Provo.
Van Noy created a stir in the early spring when he made a decision to return to BYU for his senior season.
"I plan to finish what I started," Van Noy said at the time, "and feel like I've still got some unfinished business. I'm looking forward to being on the field this next season with my Cougar teammates."
By far, Van Noy's best game was the 2012 Poinsettia Bowl. He singlehandedly outscored the San Diego State Aztecs 12-6, scoring two defensive touchdowns by causing a fumble recovery, falling on the ball in the end zone and by returning an interception for a touchdown.
Van Noy has already been named a preseason candidate for four other college football awards: the Bronko Nagurski Award, the Bedarik Award, the Lott IMPACT Trophy and the Butkus Award.
This is the ninth college football award for which a Cougar has been named a candidate. In all, nine different Cougars have been named preseason candidates for college football awards.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41