Man and woman rob small South Salt Lake business at gunpoint
Mike Radice, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police are looking for a man and woman they say robbed a small business at gunpoint Thursday afternoon.
South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller said the pair may have seized the opportunity to rob X-Zone Clothing, 3844 S. 300 East, because the owner was the only person inside. The man and woman walked past several times before entering and demanding cash from the 50-year-old woman at the register.
"We've had calls here before, but it's usually in the nature of a shoplifting," he said. "I don't know if it's the economy, or rough times, but they definitely stepped up the ante in producing the handgun and robbing her at gunpoint."
Keller said he isn't sure how much cash the robbers made off with, but it couldn't have been much.
The woman waited by the door as the man entered about 2:15 p.m. and took out a small handgun, demanding money. The owner tried to escape over the counter, but the man cut her off and approached with the gun, Keller said.
When the man tried to physically rip the cash register from the counter, the owner complied and opened the drawer, Keller said. While he was distracted by the cash, the owner again tried to escape but was caught by the woman at the door.
"She was wrenched back and roughed up a little," he said. The woman was uninjured.
The couple detained the woman until they fled out the front door to a small, white getaway car waiting in a the south parking lot. The car was driven by another man, and there may have been a fourth passenger inside, Keller said.
The only description the frightened store owner could give was that she believes the two robbers were wearing dreadlock-style wigs with baseball caps. The woman is described as white, wearing a dark-colored hat with a light brim. The man is described as being dark-skinned and wearing a dark hat, dark clothing and white shoes.
Police are working to identify the suspects from security footage and a partial license plate number, Keller said. Anyone with information is asked to call South Salt Lake police at 801-840-9000.
Callers can remain anonymous, Keller said.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15