USU football: Joe Hill named to Doak Walker Award watch list
Tom Smart, Deseret News
The watch list for the nation's top running back was announced Thursday morning, and Utah State rusher Joe Hill was named a candidate for the award.
A junior from Fullerton, Calif., Hill occupied the backup role to Kerwynn Williams during the 2012 campaign but saw significant action throughout the season. He played in 12 games for the Aggies, starting three, and finished the year with 269 yards on 43 carries (4.8 ypc) and seven touchdowns. He was also an active receiver, hauling in 18 passes for 183 yards and two touchdowns.
Hill's best game as a rusher came against Southern Utah in 2012. In that contest, Hill recorded 116 yards on 11 carries (10.5 ypc) and three touchdowns. Through the air, Hill's best game was against UNLV — the whiteout game. He caught three passes for 88 yards, one of which was for 65 yards. He also scored a touchdown in USU's victory over Utah in 2012.
Hill is listed first on the Aggie depth chart and is slated to be the featured back for the 2013 season.
Hill's nomination for the Doak Walker Award makes him the seventh Aggie to be nominated for a college football award. Overall, USU football players have been nominated for eight different awards.
The Doak Walker award, in its 24th year, highlights the nation's top running back in college football and is named for Southern Methodist University's three-time All-America running back Doak Walker.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 281
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 28