USU football: Joe Hill named to Doak Walker Award watch list
Tom Smart, Deseret News
The watch list for the nation's top running back was announced Thursday morning, and Utah State rusher Joe Hill was named a candidate for the award.
A junior from Fullerton, Calif., Hill occupied the backup role to Kerwynn Williams during the 2012 campaign but saw significant action throughout the season. He played in 12 games for the Aggies, starting three, and finished the year with 269 yards on 43 carries (4.8 ypc) and seven touchdowns. He was also an active receiver, hauling in 18 passes for 183 yards and two touchdowns.
Hill's best game as a rusher came against Southern Utah in 2012. In that contest, Hill recorded 116 yards on 11 carries (10.5 ypc) and three touchdowns. Through the air, Hill's best game was against UNLV — the whiteout game. He caught three passes for 88 yards, one of which was for 65 yards. He also scored a touchdown in USU's victory over Utah in 2012.
Hill is listed first on the Aggie depth chart and is slated to be the featured back for the 2013 season.
Hill's nomination for the Doak Walker Award makes him the seventh Aggie to be nominated for a college football award. Overall, USU football players have been nominated for eight different awards.
The Doak Walker award, in its 24th year, highlights the nation's top running back in college football and is named for Southern Methodist University's three-time All-America running back Doak Walker.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25