Elisa T. Adamson
Meredith comes to BYU from the Salt Lake City area where he has worked in business for many years and coached at the Pitching Academy. He is one of the most decorated softball pitchers of all time. Meredith pitched in a record 23 consecutive International Softball Congress World Tournaments, where he set records for most tournament wins (61), no hitters (8), strikeouts in a tournament (100) and strikeouts in a game (21). In addition, Meredith was named to the All-World Team seven times and was inducted into the International Softball Congress Hall of Fame in 2007.
“It’s a very exciting time for BYU softball, with the addition of Pete Meredith as our pitching coach. He is perhaps the greatest softball pitcher of all-time,” Eakin said. “He is a winner. His knowledge and experience at the highest level of fast pitch softball is hard to find. Pete will be a great asset to our team and our pitching staff.”
Originally from Las Vegas, Delahoussaye joins the BYU staff from Dixie State College, in St. George, Utah, where she has been the assistant softball and strength coach. Delahoussaye was a four-year letter winner at BYU from 2008-11. In her first season in Provo she earned Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year honors and later went on to be named first-team all-conference and all-region three times. As a senior in 2011, Delahoussaye led the conference in runs scored (48) and walks (42), and was second in triples (4) and fifth in RBIs (39).
“Kristin was one of those rare players that had it all — talent, great leadership skills and a complete understanding of the game. Her softball knowledge and game instincts are that of an upper level veteran coach,” Eakin said. “She was a coach on the field when she played at BYU and has proven to be a great teacher of the game in her young coaching career. Our players will love playing for her.”
Meredith will primarily be responsible for the pitching staff but will also work closely with catchers, infielders, outfielders and hitters. He will also help with game preparation and strategy, while Delahoussaye will work with all facets of the game offensively and defensively.
BYU is coming off its fifth-straight conference championship and ninth-straight NCAA Softball Tournament appearance. Since the program began in 2000, the Cougars have captured eight conference softball titles. BYU will join the West Coast Conference for its inaugural softball season in 2014.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 46
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12