Days of 47
Honoring pioneer ancestors is easier than ever with Pioneer Day fast approaching. Events across the state celebrate Utah's pioneer history, but one event in particular will allow visitors to visualize what life was like for the people on Utah frontiers.
The Days of '47 Frontier Camps will take place July 19-20 and 22-24, beginning at 2 p.m. and ending after the Days of '47 Rodeo each night. The event is free and will take place on the Energy Solutions Arena east plaza, 301 W. South Temple.
The event encompasses camps of five pioneer groups, Native Americans, cowboys and demonstrators of pioneers, Buffalo Soldier cavalry and mountain men.
The mountain men camp will feature a group of rugged men and their trader camp led by a mountain woman, while the cowboy camp will display chuck wagons and the pioneer camp will dress up in period clothing.
"It's going to show a lot of families and young people some of the heritage and history of our state. It's kind of a living history, where people can come to talk to participants and look at period clothing and enjoy good food and entertainment," said Tom Whitaker, the director.
Visitors will have the chance to participate and watch activities at each camp, including pioneer cooking, branding, Native American dancing, trick gun slinging and trick roping.
The Frontier Camps will feature several additional family-friendly activities, including pony and wagon rides. There will also be food vendors and Dutch oven demonstrations.
Live musical entertainment will include local and non-local performers, including Cowtown, Suzy Bogguss, Red Desert Ramblers and Jackson Cash, a Johnny Cash impersonator.
"We've got really good entertainment, good food, pony rides, wagon rides, all these camps, plus one of the best rodeos that's going to be put on in the state this year," said Whitaker.
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Carrie Underwood stars in NBC's 'The Sound of...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care of mom...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Enough is enough: Maintaining a positive...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 102
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 14
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Couple money woes: When one partner is... 5