Days of 47
Honoring pioneer ancestors is easier than ever with Pioneer Day fast approaching. Events across the state celebrate Utah's pioneer history, but one event in particular will allow visitors to visualize what life was like for the people on Utah frontiers.
The Days of '47 Frontier Camps will take place July 19-20 and 22-24, beginning at 2 p.m. and ending after the Days of '47 Rodeo each night. The event is free and will take place on the Energy Solutions Arena east plaza, 301 W. South Temple.
The event encompasses camps of five pioneer groups, Native Americans, cowboys and demonstrators of pioneers, Buffalo Soldier cavalry and mountain men.
The mountain men camp will feature a group of rugged men and their trader camp led by a mountain woman, while the cowboy camp will display chuck wagons and the pioneer camp will dress up in period clothing.
"It's going to show a lot of families and young people some of the heritage and history of our state. It's kind of a living history, where people can come to talk to participants and look at period clothing and enjoy good food and entertainment," said Tom Whitaker, the director.
Visitors will have the chance to participate and watch activities at each camp, including pioneer cooking, branding, Native American dancing, trick gun slinging and trick roping.
The Frontier Camps will feature several additional family-friendly activities, including pony and wagon rides. There will also be food vendors and Dutch oven demonstrations.
Live musical entertainment will include local and non-local performers, including Cowtown, Suzy Bogguss, Red Desert Ramblers and Jackson Cash, a Johnny Cash impersonator.
"We've got really good entertainment, good food, pony rides, wagon rides, all these camps, plus one of the best rodeos that's going to be put on in the state this year," said Whitaker.
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- Where are all the good Fourth of July movies?
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop yelling...
- New Episcopal presiding bishop gives message...
- Time for an assessment of the year in movies...
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 21
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 9
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 3
- Where are all the good Fourth of July... 3
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Is family the... 2