Screenshot from the "Get Out Alive" website
The LDS father and son on NBC’s new reality survival show “Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls” had more than the $500,000 cash prize on their minds as they competed. Jim Vach and his son Austin wanted to perform well on the show, but they also wanted to help others along the way.
“Our thing was, ‘Hey, we’re going to go out and do our best; we’re going to help others do their best, and then let the best team win,’” Austin said in an interview with LDS Living.
Getting on the show actually started in May 2012 when Austin and one of his brothers sent in an application video for CBS’ "The Amazing Race.” When Austin did not hear back from that show for several months, he assumed he would not get a shot at reality TV.
But in November, he received an email from one of the “Get Out Alive” casting directors, who had seen his “Amazing Race” audition and told him to apply for the new show. Although his brothers were his original choices for a partner, Austin ended up applying for the show with his father.
“Austin talked to his brother, and his brother said, ‘I can’t do that,’ and then he talked to his two other brothers, and they said, ‘I can’t do that,’ and then he talked to his cousin and he said, ‘I can’t do that,’ and then he said, ‘Dad!,’” Jim Vach said to LDS Living.
“After 2 episodes I'm putting my money on the boy & his dad to win,” said LobstahTrap on Twitter.
The show began with 10 teams of two, with adventurer/survivalist host Bear Grylls eliminating one team each week depending on how they fared in the staged wilderness obstacles. Grylls has eliminated two teams so far.
Read more about Jim and Austin Vach in this interview with LDS Living.
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Mormon family featured on Boston's WCVB...
- Match the Relief Society presidents to their...
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as she...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 94
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 70
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 35
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 32
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 31
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 21