Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
ROY — Longtime Roy City Police Chief Greg Whinham has resigned, leaving numerous questions about his sudden departure.
City Manager Chris Davis said Whinham voluntarily submitted a letter of resignation to his office Tuesday night.
"It is with heavy heart that I submit a letter of resignation effective July 17, 2013," Whinham wrote. "I have no regrets in leaving my position. I have dedicated every hour of my life to this profession for 29 years. I have made enemies along the way, but always tried to be just and fair in my dealing with internal and external issues. I have made mistakes and they have become a focus of concern. I'm proud that these mistakes have been procedural and not criminal or moral in nature. I can hold my head high and know my efforts have not been in vain."
Whinham, 55, had been on paid administrative leave since at least the beginning of the month pending an undisclosed investigation that began with a series of anonymous emails. The city is not commenting on the nature of those emails.
"The distractions associated with the anonymous complaints from individuals unknown and others that have been identified, have caused my family and others great harm. For this reason, I am submitting this letter of resignation," Whinham wrote.
Davis would not comment on whether anyone tried to talk Whinham out of resigning.
Whinham, on Wednesday, also declined to talk, saying all his comments were in his letter of resignation.
While Davis also would not comment on the reasons for the chief's resignation, he said there was no pending criminal investigation against Whinham.
Whinham, a graduate of Roy High School, said he was "honored" to serve the city for the past 29 years. He was appointed chief in 2001.
"I am proud of my record of dedicated service and passionate concern for each member of the department and the public," he wrote.
Deputy Chief Mike Elliott will serve as the acting chief until a new one is hired.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15