LOGAN — Utah State’s Chuckie Keeton has been named to the 2013 Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award watch list, given to the nation's premier quarterback.
This is the third watch list upon which Keeton's name has appeared. He is one of 30 players on the first edition of the Heisman Trophy watch list. Keeton's name also appears on the Maxwell Award watch list, given to America's college football player of the year. He is also an Athlon Sports preseason third-team All-MWC selection and a Phil Steele fourth-team All-MWC selection.
Keeton was first-team All-WAC in 2012 and finished the season with 3,373 yards, completing 67.6 percent of his passes. He scored passing 27 touchdowns, had nine interceptions and rushed for 619 yards on 129 carries. On the ground, Keeton scored eight times. He is the all-time single season record holder for passing yards, total offense, completions and completion percentage in USU football history.
Keeton is one of just 34 Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks named to the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List.
The Mountain West had four quarterbacks named to the list, which is tied with the ACC for the third-most by any conference in the nation and trailing only the SEC (7) and Pac-12 (5). Other MW quarterbacks named to the Watch List include Fresno State’s Derek Carr, Nevada’s Cody Fajardo and San Jose State’s David Fales.
With this latest announcement, Keeton is one of six Aggies on preseason college football watch lists and one of 14 players from Utah FBS programs to be recognized.
About the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award
The Davey O’Brien Award honors candidates who exemplify Davey O’Brien’s enduring character while exhibiting teamwork, sportsmanship and leadership in academics and athletics. The award is overseen by the Davey O’Brien Foundation, which is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, and has given away more than $890,000 in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20