Former S.L. County sports director accused of stealing fees
MURRAY — The former director of Salt Lake County's sports office has been charged with misuse of public funds after police say she stole team registration fees last year.
Murray resident Colette Ange Colovich, 42, was charged Monday in 3rd District Court with one count of misuse of public funds, a third-degree felony.
In an interview with administrators from the Parks and Recreation Division and the Salt Lake County Auditor's Office, Colovich admitted to taking between $3,500 and $5,000, including basketball entry fees, and altering registration records to hide the money she took, according to the charges.
Colovich's supervisor began inquiring about funds missing from the 9th Grade Youth Basketball Program in May 2012, and the office began investigating Colovich for "questionable transactions" to several office accounts, charges state.
An employee of the county's Parks and Recreation Division since July 2010, Colovich resigned June 5, 2012, charges state.
Following Colovich's resignation, an audit by Salt lake County Deputy Auditor Larry Decker revealed irregularities in some transactions recorded by Colovich, charges state. Those irregularities were included in Colovich's collection of registration fees paid to the Amatuer Athletic Union.
The audit revealed that several teams played without record of a registration fee, or fees were listed as unpaid or outstanding. In some instances, teams were listed as having participated, but records of their registration payment were deleted or altered, according to the charges.
In other instances, credits were extended to individuals without explanation.
A spokesman for Salt Lake County declined to comment on the investigation.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26