Book review: 'Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School'
Editor's note: Helping children eat healthy meals can be a challenge on the best of days. From creative meal ideas to helping children learn to cook to a nutritional guidebook, here is a review of one of the books that have crossed our desks recently.
"FEARLESS FEEDING: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School" by Jill Castle and Maryann Jacobsen, Jossey-Bass, $16.95, 432 pages (nf)
At first glance, the sheer girth of this book is daunting — but not as daunting as feeding children.
Pediatric nutrition experts Jill Castle and Maryann Jacobsen joined forces and compiled 432 pages of age-based chapters on what they call “fearless feeding.” Though it would have worked better in a three- or four-part series, “Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School” provides sound information for parents seeking help.
According to wiley.com, this book “prepares parents by explaining what to expect at different stages of growth, whether it be picky eating, growth spurts or poor body image; helps parents work through problems such as food allergies, nutrient deficiencies and weight management, and identifying if and when they need to seek professional help; empowers parents to take a whole-family approach to feeding including maximizing their own health and well-being.”
Each chapter debunks food myths, provides “fearless facts” and age-based problem-solution tables. If parents want to improve their child’s eating habits — and are patient enough to dissect 432 pages — this book won’t disappoint.
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Vocabulary test takes away some National...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- 'Tomorrowland' takes top spot at box office...
- 'Tomorrowland': 3 points for parents
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 17
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 13
- David Letterman leaves late night with... 12
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage... 3
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 2
- Knotty exhibit planned for pope... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Goodbye,... 1