Colorado River at a 'crossroads,' facing uncertain future
"We have additional water to develop" in the upper basin, he said. "Climate assumptions are the most signficant factor to our vulnerability in the upper basin."
In contrast, the lower basin states have already developed their full allotment of Colorado River water, Ostler said.
"They face imminent system shortage," he said.
Several people who testified stressed that water conservation — which the bureau estimates to could yield 1 million acre-feet — and reuse, which would deliver another 930,000 acre-feet, are key in shoring up the shortfalls, but they are not the panacea that will solve it all.
"It is very tempting to look at conservation and reuse as the sliver bullet for Colorado River imbalances, but Arizonans have also learned we have to augment our water supplies," said Kathleen Ferris, executive director of the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association.
"I think we have to be unafraid to seek the truth about what will and will not work so the solutions we forge will have real and lasting results," she said.
Conservation and advocacy groups praised the hearing as one more step along the path to help improve the future of the Colorado River.
"We were happy to see the Colorado River's ecological health get a voice in the hearing before Congress," said Gary Wockner of the Save The Colorado River Campaign. "As the most endangered river in America and a huge environmental and recreational resource, the Colorado River deserves protection and restoration"
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 35
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 22
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8