What's new: 'Living Your Covenants Every Day' shares ways to be more successful in keeping covenants
Keeping the covenants, including those made at baptism and in the temple as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is something that happens deliberately, intentionally and takes some effort, writes Jennifer Brinkerhoff Platt in her book “Living Your Covenants Every Day.”
“We must conscientiously act in ways that demonstrate our inward decision and devotion,” writes Platt, a visiting assistant professor of ancient scripture at Brigham Young University whose doctoral degree was in lifespan developmental psychology. “Thus we become empowered to resist the adversary by our capacity to act in Christlike ways and become as he is.”
But she points out that it’s not impossible to do so consistently and without huge fanfare to make changes that are necessary to live the covenants, especially since “it seems that most everyone I meet is living an unexpected life.”
Her chapters focus on an offensive arsenal — including the routines of life, scripture study, making the most out of general conference and the role of the Spirit — along with defensive manuevers in recognizing and combating Satan’s personalized subtle yet effective tactics to undermine a person’s efforts.
Platt, a presenter at Time Out for Women and Time Out for Girls, shares personal experiences, including losing weight and understanding body image issues, acting on spiritual promptings, training and running races, marriage at 41 and experiences from her LDS Church callings and assignments. Those and her conversational tone make “Living Your Covenants Every Day” feel like a conversation with a friend.
Each chapter includes additional reading suggestions and homework to help each reader recognize possible ways to improve and implement a personal strategy for success, all of which can be taken one at a time at the reader's own pace.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 11 things you should know about the... 91
- The latest developments on religious... 43
- General Women's Session focuses on... 34
- The challenges and blessings of... 34
- State bills to protect religious... 27
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 20
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 16