Watch Angel Moroni statue ascend LDS Phoenix Arizona Temple
What was supposed to be a small gathering of construction workers and their families turned into a crowd of hundreds outside the Phoenix Arizona Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on May 15 as the statue of the Angel Moroni was put in place.
In the past month, a new video documenting the same event has begun circulating. The footage filmed by Chase Porter was posted to Vimeo and is set to the LDS hymn "The Spirit of God Like a Fire Is Burning," which is the same song the crowd spontaneously began singing as the statue was put into place that hot day in the Valley of the Sun.
The video features the placement of the pedestal portion of the spire interspersed with close-up views of engravings on the temple facade, as well as views of the landscape, followed by the removal of the statue from its crate and its crane-assisted ascent to the top of the building.
The Phoenix temple is one of six Arizona temples. There are operating temples in Mesa, Snowflake and Gila Valley. A temple is under construction in Gilbert, and plans for a temple in Tucson were announced in October 2012.
Dedication dates for the Phoenix temple have not yet been announced.
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 121
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 38
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Faith leaders call for religious... 18
- Utah woman produces her own Book of... 16