Watch Angel Moroni statue ascend LDS Phoenix Arizona Temple
What was supposed to be a small gathering of construction workers and their families turned into a crowd of hundreds outside the Phoenix Arizona Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on May 15 as the statue of the Angel Moroni was put in place.
In the past month, a new video documenting the same event has begun circulating. The footage filmed by Chase Porter was posted to Vimeo and is set to the LDS hymn "The Spirit of God Like a Fire Is Burning," which is the same song the crowd spontaneously began singing as the statue was put into place that hot day in the Valley of the Sun.
The video features the placement of the pedestal portion of the spire interspersed with close-up views of engravings on the temple facade, as well as views of the landscape, followed by the removal of the statue from its crate and its crane-assisted ascent to the top of the building.
The Phoenix temple is one of six Arizona temples. There are operating temples in Mesa, Snowflake and Gila Valley. A temple is under construction in Gilbert, and plans for a temple in Tucson were announced in October 2012.
Dedication dates for the Phoenix temple have not yet been announced.
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Mormon missionary killed, another injured in...
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's... 84
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 73
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 45
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 43
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 28
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 26
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22