Commentary: The worst first-round picks in Utah Jazz franchise history
The Orlando Summer League came to an end with more questions than answers regarding new Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke.
During his time on the floor in Orlando, Burke struggled to adjust to the speed of the game, affecting his decision-making. He also struggled with his outside shot, causing some Jazz fans to wonder if Burke can succeed in the NBA.
One week of summer league does not an NBA career make, but it got me thinking about the players that the Jazz have missed on in the past. Looking back over the years, the Utah Jazz have made some wonderful selections, like John Stockton, Karl Malone, Andrei Kirilenko and even Greg Ostertag (only because he was the best player left on the board when the Jazz drafted him), but not all their picks have been home runs.
While deciding how to construct this, three factors were taken into consideration. The first is how a player performed as a member of the Jazz. The second is how a player performed over his entire NBA career, and third is who the Jazz could have had instead of that player. With that, even if a player was solid during his time with the Jazz, he could still be on this list because Utah could’ve taken a better player.
The last four years worth of draft picks are not included on this list. There isn’t enough evidence as of yet to suggest whether they were good or bad picks.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 96
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25