Earlier this month, Willow Smith, daughter of the famed Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, released a new music video that concerns some parents. The music video, “Summer Fling,” has ambiguous lyrics and shows Smith in settings that some say are too mature for the 12-year-old star.
The video shows Smith with a boyfriend who appears to be older than 12 years old, and has lyrics such as, “Don’t really care what we do tonight, goodnight kisses if the mood is right, laying on the beach with you, wishing this will never end, it’s just a couple nights but we do it anyway, it’s only for the summer but we do it anyway.”
Some adults say the music video’s message is too racy for Smith and her tween fans.
“What bothers me ... is that kids can’t even have a childhood anymore. You know, 12 years old and you’re already laying there on the beach and kissing,” said Kathie Lee on the Today Show.
Even the music video’s title has some people questioning its message.
"I would have probably been more comfortable if she'd called it a 'summertime crush' or 'puppy love,' something like that, as opposed to a fling," said YouTube user and “professional ranter” Lovelyti, in a reaction to Smith’s new video. "Because when I think about a fling, I think about a one-night stand."
Others believe “Summer Fling” is an artistic video and other conclusions are overly critical.
“This is art, this entertainment, this freedom of expression, this is creativity,” said YouTube commenter Yolonda Gore. “Personally I think the vid is great. Think outside the box.”
Smith began her singing career in 2010 with her single “Whip My Hair,” which climbed to No. 11 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 list. “Whip My Hair” was better received. Entertainment News writer Natalie Finn called it “sassy yet kid-friendly.”
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- UTubers: Stuart Edge performs a magic trick...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family perform...
- The Clean Cut: Couple compares what they...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 97
- We're doing youth soccer wrong:... 9
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do... 7
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living... 3
- Erin Stewart: Put down the phone and drive 2
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash... 2
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family... 2
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team... 2